Commune of Saint-Gengoux-le-National
|Intercommunality||Entre Grosne et Guye|
|Elevation||193‚Äď390 m (633‚Äď1,280 ft)
(avg. 232 m/761 ft)
|Land area1||9.36 km2 (3.61 sq mi)|
|- Density||116 /km2 (300 /sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||71417/ 71460|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km¬≤ (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
|2 Population sans doubles comptes: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
It was formerly known as Saint-Gengoux-le-Royal.
In the 10th century, the church of Saint-Gengoux was given to the abbey of Cluny. In the 12th century, the abbot of Cluny requested king Louis VII install a lord of the manor with Saint-Gengoux in order to ensure the safety of the city.
At the revolution, Saint-Gengoux-le-Royal took the name of Saint-Gengoux-le-National. It reverted to Saint-Gengoux-le-Royal is 1834, Saint-Gengoux-le-National in 1848, Saint-Gengoux-le-Royal is 1852 before finally settling on Saint-Gengoux-le-National in 1881.
The river Grosne forms part of the commune's south-eastern border.
The church was built in 1120 by the Benedictines of Cluny. It measures 41 m in length and 16 m wide. It was plundered several times and has been heavily restored. The most recent enhancement has been the replacement of the metal bridge between the towers with a wooden one, more in keeping with the Burgundian style. In 1802, three vaults contiguous to the church were destroyed to build a corn exchange on their site.
There are many historic properties from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
The railway station at Saint-Gengoux-le-National was opened in 1880 on the Chalon-sur-Sa√īne to M√Ęcon railway line.
After the closure of the railway, in 1996 the 44 km of trackbed from Givry to Cluny has been paved and converted into a cycle route known as the Voie Verte. There are several locations along the route where cycles may be hired, including the station at Saint-Gengoux-le-National.