The Full Wiki

More info on Saint Joseph's College (New York)

Saint Joseph's College (New York): Wikis

Advertisements
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

St. Joseph's College, New York
The Squirrels 0061.jpg
Motto Esse non videri
(To be, not to seem)
Established 1916 (as St. Joseph's College for Women)
Type Private
President Sister Elizabeth A. Hill, C.S.J., J.D.
Staff 500
Undergraduates 4,853 (Brooklyn - 1,043/Long Island - 3,810)
Location Brooklyn and Patchogue, New York, New York, USA
Campus Brooklyn - Urban/Long Island - Suburban
Athletics NCAA Division III
Mascot Brooklyn Campus - Bears/Long Island Campus - Golden Eagles
Website www.sjcny.edu

St. Joseph’s College has been dedicated to providing a diverse population of students in the New York metropolitan area with an affordable education rooted in the liberal arts tradition since 1916. Independent and coeducational, the College provides a strong academic and value-oriented education at the undergraduate and graduate levels, aiming to prepare each student for a life characterized by integrity, intellectual and spiritual values, social responsibility, and service. With campuses located in the Clinton Hill area of Brooklyn and in Patchogue, Long Island, the College offers degrees in over 23 majors, special course offerings and certificates, affiliated and pre-professional programs through its School of Arts and Sciences and its School of Professional and Graduate Studies.

History

Originally named St. Joseph's College for Women, the college was founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Brentwood, in response to the need for a day college for young women. The college received its provisional charter from the Regents of the University of the State of New York on February 24, 1916. After the college outgrew its original facilities at 286 Washington Avenue, it moved to its present site at 245 Clinton Avenue in 1918. The first baccalaureate degrees were conferred on twelve graduates on June 17, 1920. The College was accredited in 1928 by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. The Regents granted St. Joseph's College an Absolute Charter in 1929. Reverend William T. Dillon, J.D., Professor of Philosophy, served as Dean of the College and later its President, during the years that followed. St. Joseph's opened a laboratory pre-school in 1934 following several years of research in the field of Child Development. Sister Vincent Thérèse Tuohy assumed the presidency in 1956. McEntegart Hall, a multi-functional building housing the library and classrooms, was opened in 1965; the Dillon Child Study Center followed in 1968.

Sister George Aquin O'Connor was elected President and assumed responsibility on July 1, 1969. In 1970, a Charter amendment changed the name to St. Joseph's College and enabled the college to admit the first male students to full matriculation. On February 2, 1971, St. Joseph's inaugurated an extension program in the collegiate center formerly known as Brentwood College, and moved to develop a degree program in Brentwood, oriented to the third and fourth years of college. This Upper Division baccalaureate program opened in September 1972, and the Board of Regents of the State of New York authorized St. Joseph's College to join Long Island University C.W. Post Campus, in a Coordinate Campus program, the first such pattern adopted in the State. In 1976, this Suffolk County operation was authorized by the Regents to operate as a branch campus. In 1978, St. Joseph's College expanded its operation at the Suffolk Branch Campus to a full four-year program, and in 1979 moved to a twenty-five acre campus in Patchogue.

Memberships

The College is a member of many associations, including the following,

External links

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message