The Full Wiki

More info on Saint Mary's University of Minnesota

Saint Mary's University of Minnesota: Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
SMU MN Seal.svg
Latin: Universitatis Sanctæ Mariæ
Motto Virtus et Scientia
(Virtue and Knowledge)
Established 1912
Type Private, Roman Catholic, Lasallian
Chancellor Brother Louis DeThomasis, FSC, Ph.D.
President Brother William Mann, FSC, D.Min.
Faculty Undergraduate: 96 full-time, 41 part-time;
Graduate: 400 adjunct
Students 5,700
Undergraduates 1,400
Location Winona Campus: Winona, MN;
Twin Cities Campus: Minneapolis
Colors Red, White, & Navy
Mascot Cardinal
Affiliations NCAA; MIAC
Smu school logo.svg

Saint Mary's University of Minnesota is a private, comprehensive, coeducational university with an undergraduate campus in the city of Winona, Minnesota, United States. Graduate and professional programs are offered at facilities in Winona, the Twin Cities, Rochester, Apple Valley, Minnesota; and various sites around Minnesota and Wisconsin; and Nairobi, Kenya.

The university has a fall, 2008 total enrollment of 5,700, including 1,400 traditional undergraduates, and is affiliated with the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools (Christian Brothers), a religious order of the Roman Catholic Church.

The chancellor of the university is Brother Louis DeThomasis, FSC, Ph.D. Brother William Mann, FSC, D.Min, the former Vicar General of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools was named the 13th president of Saint Mary's on December 13, 2007 and began his term on June 1, 2008. Brother William was inaugurated as president on September 26, 2008 at the Winona campus.



Bishop Patrick Richard Heffron founded Saint Mary's College in 1912, a men's college operated by the Winona Diocese. Heffron Hall, a residential hall was built in 1920, and named after Bishop Heffron. By 1925 it became a four-year liberal arts college. In 1933, it was taken over by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, a religious order whose main charism is teaching. It became a co-educational university in 1969 and later purchased the campus and buildings of the former College of Saint Teresa, a women's college in Winona that ceased operations in 1989. In recent years, portions of the Saint Teresa campus were sold to Winona State University and Winona Cotter High School.

During the 1980s the main campus underwent vigorous growth. Constructed during this decade were the Ice Arena (1986), Performance Center, including Figliulo Recital Hall and Joseph Page Theatre (1987), Brother Charles Hall science addition (1987), Gilmore Creek Residence (1989), and Christian Brothers Residence (1989). More recent additions include McEnery Center (1993), Gostomski Fieldhouse and Jul Gernes Pool (1994), pedestrian plaza (1994), Pines Hall residence (1995), Hendrickson Center (1996), The Heights (1997), Oscar and Mary Jane Straub Clocktower and Court (1999), Hillside Hall residence (2001), ice arena addition (2004).

Beginning in 1985, then-president Brother Louis DeThomasis launched a series of new, non-traditional graduate and professional programs. The Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs, using a variety of course delivery methods and locations, is now one of Minnesota's largest graduate schools. SGPP programs are delivered at the Twin Cities campus, Rochester center, Apple Valley center, Minnetonka center, and at locations around Minnesota and Wisconsin. Saint Mary's also operates two institutes at Tangaza College in Nairobi, Kenya: the Maryknoll Institute of African Studies, and Christ the Teacher Institute of Education.

In 1995, Saint Mary's College was renamed Saint Mary's University of Minnesota to reflect the expanded role of graduate and professional programming, and to distinguish Saint Mary's from schools with similar names.


Saint Mary's University has a wide variety of degrees offered. The university offers bachelor's, master's and doctorates. It currently has a doctorate program in Educational Leadership and started a doctorate of Psychology in fall 2009. It has programs for both traditional and non-traditional students. In addition to the degrees, Saint Mary's also offers teaching licensures, certifications, and pre-professional programs.


The Saint Mary's Cardinal is the logo for the university's athletic teams

Its sports teams are nicknamed the Cardinals (previously the Redmen) and compete as a member of the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIAC). There are 21 NCAA Div. III varsity sports teams at Saint Mary's. The Saint Mary's fastpitch softball team won the 2000 NCAA Div. III National Title. That title was the university's first and so far only national team title. In 1955, the college administration elected to discontinue football as a sport at the university. A task force was formed in 2005 to study the feasibility of adding football, but the proposal was rejected in 2006 by a unanimous vote of the board of trustees. Saint Mary's has a mild crosstown rivalry with Div. II Winona State University, which is operated by the state of Minnesota. There is an on-campus cross country ski and running trail in the bluffs and valleys. Athletic facilities are being renovated and expanded. Upgrades were recently made to basketball, baseball and softball. A challenging disc golf course was installed in the bluffs and valleys around campus in 2007. A state-of-the-art outdoor track and soccer complex, and a high-and-low ropes course, was added in 2008.

Past Presidents

Years President
Founder Bishop Patrick R. Heffron
1912-1918 Monsignor William E.F. Griffin
1918-1933 Jennifer Mary Quicker
1933-1942 Brother Leopold Julian Dodd, FSC
1942-1943 Brother Landrick Jerome Fox, FSC
1943-1950 Brother Joel Stanislaus Nelson, FSC
1950-1956 Brother J. Ambrose Groble, FSC
1956-1963 Brother Basil Rothweiler, FSC
1963-1969 Brother Josephus Gregory Robertson, FSC
1969-1976 Brother George Pahl, FSC
1976-1984 Brother Peter Clifford, FSC
1984-2005; 2006-2008 Brother Louis DeThomasis, FSC, Ph. D
2005-2006 Brother Craig J. Franz, FSC, Ph. D
2008-Present Brother William Mann, FSC, D.Min.

See also

External links

Coordinates: 44°02′41″N 91°41′46″W / 44.044753°N 91.696143°W / 44.044753; -91.696143

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address