The Full Wiki

Saint Peter, Barbados: Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Parish: Saint Peter
Area: 34km² (13 sq. mi.)
Largest City: Speightstown
Population (2008 est.): 11,160 inhab.
Population Density: 328.24 inhab/km²
Parliamentary representation
- House seats 1
Map of Barbados showing the Saint Peter parish
Parishes of Barbados

The Parish of Saint Peter ("St. Peter") is one of eleven parishes in the Caribbean island country of Barbados. It is named after the Christian Apostle and patron saint, Saint Peter. It is located in the north of Barbados, and is the only parish besides Saint Lucy that extends from the east coast to the west.

The Barbados "Platinum Coast," which extends through Saint Peter from the parish of Saint James just to the south, has helped to make Saint Peter a tourist hot spot. The parish is surrounded with white sand beaches, including those along Mullins Bay. Its topography includes rolling hills and terraces, some of which are still covered by sugar cane, which was the island's chief cash crop during its colonial period. Within Saint Peter are also large tourist sites such as the Port St. Charles marina (the only marina in Barbados) and the Almond Beach Village. Other lavish resorts include Schooner Bay, Mount Brevitor, Suga Suga, and Black Bess, the first banyan tree resort in the Caribbean region.




The area of Speightstown was the first major port and commercial centre of Barbados. The city is named after William Speight, a member of Barbados' first Assembly during the colonial years, and the former owner of the land on which the city arose. It has a long and colorful history reaching back to the 17th century when it served as one of the main ports connecting the island with the “mother country,” England. Back then Speightstown was sometimes called “Little Bristol” because of these trading connections with Bristol in England. This little village was the port that Admiral Ayscue could not take when he was dispatched by Cromwell to quell the insurrection in Barbados in 1649. The Barbadians were loyal to Charles I, and would not accept Oliver Cromwell as their protector. For six months Ayscue was unable to land in Barbados, and concentrated attacks on Speightstown were repelled by the small forts along the shore. The tiny island was landed only with the help of a defector who led Ayscue and his men to land at Oistins where they met with representatives of the island and signed what has become known as the Charter of Barbados. Signed in 1652, the agreement gave Barbados rights and privileges unheard of on any other island. In particular it guaranteed that Barbados could not be taxed without the consent of a Barbados General Assembly. Many historic buildings dating from colonial times, including Arlington House, still remain standing in the town and can be seen mostly along Queen Street, Church Street and Orange Street. Speightstown saw a lot of activity during the reign of the sugar industry and the day of the slave trade. Many slaves would have passed through this town, even if they were to be shipped on further to other islands or America.

Today Speightstown is busiest on weekends when locals and visitors come out to do their shopping and banking. Many stalls can be found along the streets hawking local and imported fruits and ground provisions. Although it had fallen into disrepair and neglect over the years, the area is now the focus of new initiatives for development. Speightstown Esplanade at Fort Denmark and the Fisheries Complex have been refurbished. Drainage in the area has been improved to prevent flooding. The jetty has been rebuilt and a modern ferry line may be established.

Port St. Charles is open for those who wish to enter the island by yacht. Speightstown hosts The Gallery of Caribbean Art, which showcases local and Caribbean artists.

Attractions of St. Peter


Farley Hill National Park

Farley Hill is a ruin of a Georgian mansion which was built by Sir Graham Briggs. Work first started in 1818 and rooms were constantly being added over the next fifty years. Farley Hill was eventually regarded as the most impressive mansion in Barbados and in 1957 was used as Belfontaine Mansion in the famous film Island in the Sun. After the mansion was destroyed by fire in 1965, the property was acquired by the Barbados Government. On February 15, 1966, HRM Queen Elizabeth II officially opened the grounds as the Farley Hill National Park. Nestled high up on a hill over looking Barbados' rugged Atlantic coast, Farley Hill is a picnic area, wedding venue, and vista point, featuring views of the east coast of Barbados. The forest of mahogany trees is transformed into the stage for musical and theatrical events several times a year, including the Barbados Jazz Festival and Gospelfest, among others.

Barbados Wildlife Reserve

Situated in a lush mahogany wood, across the road from Farley Hill National Park, the reserve is primarily a monkey sanctuary for the Barbados Green Monkey. The monkeys and most of the animals are free to roam.

St. Nicholas Abbey

St. Nicholas Abbey is one of the more famous landmarks on Barbados. It is one of only three genuine Jacobean mansions in the Western Hemisphere. It is similar to the English Jacobean manor houses of the first half of the seventeenth century – the period between the Tudor and Georgian styles, beginning in the reign of James I.

St Nicholas Abbey has no church connection. It has always been a sugar plantation house. Colonel Benjamin Berringer built the house between 1650 and 1660. The exact origin of its name is not known but rumour has it that it was named after George Nicholas, husband to Berringer's granddaughter, Susanna. Berringer was killed in a duel with his neighbor, Sir John Yeamans, who then married Berringer's widow and claimed the abbey as his property. In 1669, The Colonel's children took the matter to court and were awarded ownership of the property. Sir John and his wife then moved to the United States, where they helped found South Carolina. The abbey was later acquired by the eminent baronet, planter and legislator, Sir John Gay Alleyne through his marriage to Christian Dottin. He lived there from 1746 until his death in 1801. Alleyne family traditions hold that Sir John planted the impressive mahogany avenue leading to Cherry Tree Hill. The abbey passed by marriage to Charles Cave in 1834. His great-great-grandson Lt. Col. Stephen Cave OBE lived there from 1978 until his death in November, 2003.

The mansion is well-preserved, with curvilinear Dutch gables with tall finials of carved coral stone and corner chimneys. The entrance portico, Chinese Chippendale staircase and cedar panelling are later additions. The fireplaces and walled Medieval herb garden were almost certainly included in the original plans brought from England, and copied faithfully. Sugar has been grown on the plantation since 1640 and there is still the evidence of the mill and sugar making edifices. Processed on the property until 1947, the cane is now trucked eight miles to the Portvale Sugar Factory for processing. There is a rare 1930s film of life on a sugar plantation that is available for viewing. Listed by the Barbados Tourism Authority as one of the "Seven Wonders of Barbados," the property has attracted several thousand visitors a year. Amongst the mahogany trees are box, cabbage palm, silk cotton, and avocado trees.


All Saints Anglican Chapel

Barbados was a British colony and retains many British traditions. Many of the churches are Anglican, Episcopal, Seventh Day Adventist, Methodist, Roman Catholic, Pentecostal, and others.

Parishes bordering Saint Peter

Coordinates: 13°15′N 59°37′W / 13.25°N 59.617°W / 13.25; -59.617


Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address