|Key people||Samuel Goldwyn|
Samuel Goldwyn Studio was the name that Samuel Goldwyn used to refer to the Pickford-Fairbanks Studios lot and the offices and stages that his company, Goldwyn Pictures, rented there during the 1920s and 1930s. Because several independent producers that distributed through United Artists used "the lot," located on the corner of Formosa Avenue and Santa Monica Boulevard in Hollywood, California, it was also known as "United Artists Studio." Although Goldwyn did not control the deed for the land, he and Joseph Schenck built many of the facilities on the lot. Today, the nickname "The Lot" is the official name for this studio lot.
After Douglas Fairbanks died in 1939, leaving his share of the deed to Mary Pickford, Goldwyn sought to rename the lot "Samuel Goldwyn Studio." Pickford and Goldwyn fought over the name and ownership of the property until a court ordered that the lot be auctioned in 1955.
James Mulvey, Goldwyn's most trusted business confidant and president of Samuel Goldwyn Inc., outbid Pickford for the property. The lot officially became Samuel Goldwyn Studio and remained so until Warner Brothers purchased the site in 1980.