All Saints Church
Saughall shown within Cheshire
|OS grid reference|
|Unitary authority||Cheshire West and Chester|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
|UK Parliament||City of Chester|
|List of places: UK • England • Cheshire|
Saughall is a civil parish and village in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It is situated approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) north west of Chester and close to the Welsh border.
The village previously consisted of two separate townships in the parish of Shotwick, Wirral Hundred. Great Saughall had a population of 147 in 1801, 493 in 1851 and 703 in 1901. Little Saughall had a population of 48 in 1801, 69 in 1851 and 137 in 1901. The present civil parish was created in 1948 by uniting both settlements. In 1951, the population of Saughall was 1,518.
The village has two local schools: The Ridings Community Infant School ( and Thomas Wedge Church of England Junior School )(. The latter, originally known as Great Saughall School, was built and endowed by )Thomas Wedge of Sealand, Flintshire, at his own expense in 1852 as a gift to the people of Saughall and Sealand. In late 2006 Cheshire County Council agreed to embark on a process which would ultimately lead to the merger of the two schools. In March 2008 the plans were submitted and include building an entirely new united primary school on the school field behind the current Thomas Wedge building. Once this is complete, the current school structures will be demolished to make room for green space and a staff car park. The name of the school is likely to be changed to Saughall Primary School.
Saughall Windmill is more commonly known as Gibbet Mill and is now a private residence. Situated some distance outside the village, this name is likely derived from some time during the eighteenth century. It was the location of the murder of a farm labourer by two fellow workers after a disagreement over earnings in the vicinity of the mill. After their trial and execution, their bodies were hung in chains, or "gibbeted" from a nearby ash tree, as a warning to other criminals.