The Full Wiki

Schio: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Schio
—  Comune  —
Comune di Schio
Duomo ("Saint Peter" Church)
Schio is located in Italy
Schio
Location of Schio in Italy
Coordinates: 45°43′N 11°22′E / 45.717°N 11.367°E / 45.717; 11.367Coordinates: 45°43′N 11°22′E / 45.717°N 11.367°E / 45.717; 11.367
Country Italy
Region Veneto
Province Vicenza (VI)
Frazioni Aste, Cabrelle, Giavenale, Monte Magrè, Piane, Poleo, Santa Caterina, Santa Maria, San Rocco, Sant'Ulderico, Magrè, Liviera, Cà Trenta, Ss. Trinità, Santa Croce
Government
 - Mayor Luigi Dalla Via
Area
 - Total 67 km2 (25.9 sq mi)
Elevation 200 m (656 ft)
Population (December 31, 2004)
 - Total 38,638
 - Density 576.7/km2 (1,493.6/sq mi)
 - Demonym Scledensi
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 - Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 36015
Dialing code 0445
Patron saint St. Peter
Saint day June 29
Website Official website

Schio is a town and comune in the province of Vicenza (region of Veneto, northern Italy) situated North of Vicenza and East of the Lake of Garda. It is surrounded by the Little Dolomites (Italian Prealps) and Mount Pasubio.

Contents

History

Its name comes from Latin: escletum was a wood of oaks and it was first used in a document of some Benedictines from Vicenza. The first settlements were around two old hills, where now there are respectively the ruins of an old castle and a majestic neoclassical cathedral.

By the 12th century Schio had become an important centre of prosperous wool manufacturing. The city was ruled by the Venetian Maltraversi family until 1311.

Schio is now an industrial town thanks to Alessandro Rossi, who founded the biggest Italian wool firm (Lanerossi) in the 19th century. Rossi also arranged the building of houses, nurseries, schools, theatres and gardens for his workers. The most important textile factories in Schio were Lanerossi, Conte and Cazzola. Schio was called "Manchester of Italy", because it was the focal point of the northern wool trade like the British city.

Main sights

  • The Weaver’s Monument, erected in 1879 by Alessandro Rossi who dedicated it to his workers. The inhabitants of Schio call it L’Omo (a dialect word for "man"). It is statue representing a man who holds proudly in one hand the shuttle of his loom, the emblem of his craft and indeed of the whole textile industry.
  • A tower of the Castle, demolished in 1514.
  • San Francesco (St. Francis’) church, dating from the early 15th century. The church is now part of a complex of buildings, superimposed in time, which were used formerly by the Monastery dei Frati Minori (1437-1806) and then by Schio’s civil hospital (the Baratto Institute 1807-1959) and now a Home for the elderly).
  • The little church of St. Mary in the Valley, originally a column erected in 1511 after a plague. It became a church in 1580.
  • Toaldi-Capra Palace. This building dates from the 15th century or earlier; some frescoes have been recovered in the interior. It first belonged to the Toaldi family; it then passed to Enrico Capra, a noble from Vicenza, before becoming the Town Hall until 1913. It was recovered and carefully restored in 1981, and now houses the civic Musical Institute as a centre for cultural activities.

Twin cities

External links

Photo gallery

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message