The Full Wiki

Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grafschaft (Fürstentum) Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt
County (Principality) of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt
State of the Holy Roman Empire,
State of the Confederation of the Rhine,
State of the German Confederation,
State of the North German Confederation,
State of the German Empire,
State of the Weimar Republic

1599–1919
Flag Coat of arms
Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt within Thuringia
Capital Rudolstadt
Government Principality
Historical era Middle Ages
 - Partitioned from
    Schwarzburg
 
1599 1599
 - Raised to Principality 1711
 - German Revolution 1918 1919
 - Merged into Thuringia 1920
Area
 - 1905 940 km2 (363 sq mi)
Population
 - 1905 est. 97,000 
     Density 103.2 /km2  (267.3 /sq mi)

Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt was a small state in Germany, in the present-day state of Thuringia.

The ruins of the Guenther family castle at Schwarzburg.
The castle in 1900 AD.
Aerial view at Schwarzburg.

Contents

History

Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt was formed in a resettlement of Schwarzburg dynasty family lands, with its capital (and the Guenther (German: Günther) family seat) originally in the castle at Schwarzburg, but later, for most of its existence as a polity having the capital at the larger town of Rudolstadt. It was founded after the partition of the schwarzburger possessions in 1599. A sovereign county under the Holy Roman Empire until 1711, in that year it became a principality under the same entity.

In late 1918, and during the German Revolution, resulting in the fall of all the German monarchies, the prince abdicated, and in 1920 the former principality became a part of the new state of Thuringia. Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt had an area of 940 km2 (362.9 sq mi) and a population of 97,000 (1905).

Rulers of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt

Advertisements

Counts of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt

  • 1574–1605: Count Albrecht VII (1537–1605), son of Count Günther XL of Schwarzburg-Blankenburg, founder of the county (state) of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt
  • 1605–30: Count Karl Günther, also known as Charles Guenther (1576–1630, succeeded by younger brother Ludwig I)
  • 1630–46: Count Ludwig Günther I, also known as Louis Guenther (1581–1646)
  • 1646–62: Regent Emilie of Delmenhorst (1614–70)
  • 1662–1710: Count Albrecht Anton (1641–1710)

Princes of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt

  • 1710–18: Prince Louis Frederick I (1667–1718)
  • 1718–44: Prince Frederick Anton (1692–1744)
  • 1744–67: Prince John Frederick (1721–67)
  • 1767–1790: Prince Louis Günther II (1708–90)
  • 1790–93: Prince Frederick Charles (1736–93)
  • 1793–1807: Prince Louis Frederick II (1767–1807)
  • 1807–14: Regent Caroline Luise of Hessen-Homburg (1771–1854)
  • 1814–67: Prince Frederick Günther (1793–1867)
  • 1867–69: Prince Albert (1798–1869)
  • 1869–90: Prince Georg Albert (1838–90)
  • 1890–1918: Prince Günther (1852–1925) succeeded as Prince of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen in 1909 on the death of Prince Karl Günther.

Heads of the princely house of Schwarzburg post-monarchy

On the death of the childless Prince Günther Victor in 1925 he was succeeded by Prince Sizzo (1860–1926) who was the son of Prince Friedrich Günther (1793–1867) from his second, morganatic marriage. Prince Sizzo was recognised as a full member of the House of Schwarzburg in 1896.

External links


1911 encyclopedia

Up to date as of January 14, 2010

From LoveToKnow 1911

SCHWARZBURG-RUDOLSTADT, a principality of Germany, an independent member of the German empire, and one of the Thuringian states (see Thuringia). It shares with SchwarzburgSondershausen the possessions of the old house of Schwarzburg, consisting of the upper barony (Oberherrschaft) in Thuringia, on the Gera, Ilm and Saale, and the lower barony (Unterherrschaft), an isolated district on the Wipper and Helbe, about 25 m. to the north, surrounded by the Prussian province of Saxony. As the dignity of prince is held in virtue of the Oberherrschaft alone, a share of both baronies was given to each sub-line of the main house. The total area of SchwarzburgRudolstadt is 363 sq. m., of which 283 are in the upper and 80 in the lower barony; the chief towns in the former district are Rudolstadt (pop. 12,500 in 1905), the capital, and Blankenburg (2000), and in the latter Frankenhausen (6374). Both baronies are hilly, the highest elevation being attained in the Grossfarmdenkopf, 2900 ft. The scenery of the Thuringian portion of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt attracts many visitors annually, the most beautiful spots being the gorge of the Schwarza and the lovely circular valley in which the village of Schwarzburg nestles at the foot of a curiously isolated hill, crowned by the ancient castle of the princely line. Cattle-rearing and fruit-growing flourish in the lower barony, while the upper barony is finely wooded. Of the whole country 44% is under forest (mainly coniferous trees), and 50% is devoted to agriculture and pasture. The chief grain crops are rye, oats, barley and potatoes. Great attention is paid to poultry farming and beekeeping, and the exports from these sources are considerable. About 14% of the population are engaged in agriculture and forestry, 21% in mining and cognate industries. Trade and manufactures are insignificant; iron, lignite, cobalt, alum and vitriol are among the mineral productions. In 1905 the population was 96,835 or about 265 to the square mile. Nearly all these were Protestants.

Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt is a limited hereditary monarchy, its constitution resting on laws of 1854 and 1870. A diet has met at intervals since 1816, and is now entitled to be summoned every three years. The present diet consists of sixteen members elected for three years, four chosen by the highest assessed taxpayers, the others by general election. The troops of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt have been incorporated with the Prussian army since the convention of 1867. The principality has one vote in the Reichstag and one in the federal council.

Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt is the cadet branch of the house of Schwarzburg, descended from Albrecht VII. (1605). In 1710 the count was made a prince, in spite of the remonstrances of the elector of Saxony, although he was prevented from taking his seat in the imperial college at Regensburg until 1754. The principality entered the Confederation of the Rhine in 1807 and the German League in 1815. In 1819 it redeemed the Prussian claims of superiority by surrendering portions of its territory.

See Sigismund, Landeskunde des Fiirstentums SchwarzburgRudolstadt (2 vols., Rudolstadt, 1862-1863).


<< Karl Schwarz

Schwarzburg-Sondershausen >>


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message