The Smestow Brook at Seisdon
Seisdon shown within Staffordshire
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||West Midlands|
|UK Parliament||South Staffordshire|
|List of places: UK • England • Staffordshire|
The name appears to mean "hill of the Saxons", deriving from the Anglo-Saxon words Seis meaning Saxon and Dun meaning hill.
Placename evidence suggests a fairly early Anglo-Saxon origin. Certainly the village of Seisdon was of sufficient importance by the Norman Conquest to be the eponym of a hundred. The Domesday Book gives considerable information about land ownership in the Seisdon Hundred, but it is difficult to abstract from this any real information about the village itself. It is possible to get some idea of the size of the hundred, however: it included a considerable part of South Staffordshire, taking in Bobbington, Kingswinford and Sedgley.
Almost all of its residents were originally employed in the agricultural industry.
There was a Seisdon Rural District from 1894 to 1974.