Skovshoved Petrol Station by night
|Architectural style||Functionalism (architecture)|
The Skovshoved Petrol Station (Danish: Skovshoved Tankstation) is a historic, still-operating filling station in Skovshoved at the northern outskirts of Copenhagen, Denmark. First opened in 1936, it was designed by Arne Jacobsen and is an example of the functionalist style typical of the time. It is Class A listed and was thoroughly restored in 2002. The filling station was originally commissioned by Texaco but is now operated by Uno-X.
The exterior of the building is dominated by the projecting oval canopy, colloquially known as The Mushroom (Danish: Paddehatten). It offers shade and shelter for filling motorists but, illuminated from beneath, also doubles as a sign at night.