The Full Wiki

More info on South Side Park

South Side Park: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

South Side Park
Game action at South Side Park, 1907
Location Chicago, Illinois
Coordinates 41°49′28″N 87°37′58″W / 41.82444°N 87.63278°W / 41.82444; -87.63278Coordinates: 41°49′28″N 87°37′58″W / 41.82444°N 87.63278°W / 41.82444; -87.63278
Broke ground 1890
Opened 1890
Closed 1940
Demolished 1940
Capacity 15,000
Tenants
Chicago White Stockings (MLB) (1891-1893)
Chicago White Sox (MLB) (1901-1910)
Chicago American Giants (Negro League baseball) (1911-1940)

South Side Park was the name used for three different baseball parks that formerly stood in Chicago, Illinois at different times, and whose sites were all just a few blocks away from each other.

The first South Side Park was somewhere in the neighborhood of 39th Street and South Wabash Avenue, and was the home of a short-lived entry in the Union Association of 1884.

The second South Side Park was at 35th Street and South Wentworth Avenue, just east of the eventual Comiskey Park. It was first the home of the Chicago entry of the Players League of 1890 (whose roster included Charles Comiskey), and then was the home of the National League team now called the Chicago Cubs during parts of 1891-1893.

South Side Park (III) in Chicago

The third South Side Park, the best known and longest lived venue by that name, was on the north side of 39th Street (now called Pershing Road) between South Wentworth Avenue and South Princeton Avenue, located at 41°49′28″N 87°37′58″W / 41.82444°N 87.63278°W / 41.82444; -87.63278. The 39th Street Grounds served as the playing field of the Chicago Wanderers cricket team during the 1893 World's Fair. After Charles Comiskey built a wooden grandstand on the site in 1900, it became the home of the Chicago White Sox of the American League. It served as home to the White Sox first in 1900 as a minor league team, and then from 1901 to June 27, 1910 as a major league team.

The team abandoned the wooden ballpark, with its capacity of 15,000, in the middle of the 1910 season after their new steel-and-concrete, and much larger Comiskey Park was finished, just three blocks north of the old park (corner to corner), where they began an 80 1/2 season run. Meanwhile, South Side Park became the home of the newly-formed Negro League baseball team called the Chicago American Giants in 1911. It was renamed Schorling's Park for team owner Rube Foster's white business partner, John C. Schorling, a south side saloon keeper who leased the grounds and happened to be Comiskey's son-in-law.

The American Giants played their games there through the 1940 season. Then on Christmas Day of 1940, Schorling's Park was destroyed by fire. The American Giants would play their remaining 10 seasons at Comiskey Park. Today, the Chicago Housing Authority's Wentworth Gardens housing project occupies the site.

The South Side Park/Schorling's Park/Wentworth Gardens site is located across Pershing Road from a junkyard site which was named a Superfund site in the late 1990s.

Ty Cobb at bat in 1908 at South Side Park

Other South Side Parks

Sources

Green Cathedrals, by Philip J. Lowry. White Sox Ballparks.

External links

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message