The Full Wiki

More info on Specialist in Education

Specialist in Education: Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


(Redirected to Educational Specialist article)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Education Specialist, also referred to as Educational Specialist, Specialist in Education, or Ed.S., is a terminal advanced academic degree in the U.S. that is designed for individuals who wish to develop additional skills or increase their knowledge beyond the master's degree level, but do not wish to pursue a degree at the doctoral level.



Many individuals who earn an Ed.S. degree seek to increase their skills for advanced licensure requirements or other professional objectives. Many people may pursue an Ed.S. degree in order to meet state or professional requirements for career advancement. Major areas available with this degree include school counseling, school psychology,educational leadership, educational administration, higher education/adult continuing education,advanced curriculum and instruction, superintendent,and others.[1][1]&[2]

The Ed.S. degree is a focused degree program that is considered by accrediting bodies as the completion of the sixth year of collegiate study,(between the master's and doctorate), assuming a Master degree in education. Programs typically require from 30 to 45 semester hours. But while master's degree holders can usually be confident of advancement and upward movement on the salary scale, the Ed.S. degree holder may find that managers are often not aware of, or do not have a way of recognizing, this lesser-known degree. This is especially true outside of academic settings. Some ED.S degree holders were on their path to earn the Ph.D, but may have stopped short of completion due to some unforeseen contingencies.

The Specialist in School Psychology (SSP) degree is similar to the Ed.S. in School Psychology. It is typically granted when the program is located in a department of psychology rather than education.

Formal attire

According to The American Council on Education “six-year specialist degrees (Ed.S., etc.) and other degrees that are intermediate between the master's and the doctor's degree may have hoods specially designed (1) intermediate in length between the master's and doctor's hood, (2) with a four-inch velvet border (also intermediate between the widths of the borders of master's and doctor's hoods), and (3) with color distributed in the usual fashion and according to the usual rules. Cap tassels should be uniformly black.”[2]

See also




Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address