Tenterden: Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coordinates: 51°04′11″N 0°41′23″E / 51.069620°N 0.689800°E / 51.069620; 0.689800

Tenterden Railway Station - geograph.org.uk - 1005659.jpg
Tenterden Railway Station
St Mildred Church, Tenterden, Kent - geograph.org.uk - 890189.jpg
St Mildred Church
Tenterden is located in Kent

 Tenterden shown within Kent
Population 7,613 [1]
OS grid reference TQ885334
Parish Tenterden
District Ashford
Shire county Kent
Region South East
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Postcode district TN30
Dialling code 01580
Police Kent
Fire Kent
Ambulance South East Coast
EU Parliament South East England
UK Parliament Ashford
List of places: UK • England • Kent
Window in St Mildred.

Tenterden is a small town in the Ashford District of Kent, England. It stands on the edge of the Weald, overlooking the valley of the River Rother.

The town's name is derived from the Old English "Tenet Waraden", meaning a den or forest clearing in the forest which belonged to the men of Thanet.



The town grew from the 14th century around the wool industry. Unlike other such centres in the Weald it had the advantage of access to the sea. Much of what is now Romney Marsh was under water, and ships docked at Smallhythe. Timber from the Wealden forests was used to construct ships, and in 1449 Tenterden was incorporated into the Confederation of Cinque Ports as a limb of Rye. Ships built in the town were then used to help Rye fulfil its quota for the Crown.

A school was in existence here in 1521; later (in 1666) it was referred to as a grammar school.

The town


Town Council

For the purposes of local government, the town is divided into four wards: North, South, West and St Michaels. The latter is the part of the town to the north (see below).

Churches & chapels

There are two parish churches:

  • St Mildred's is in the main part of the town. The church dates from the 12th century, and was progressively enlarged until 1461, when the distinctive tower was constructed. It was one of the churches in the 1588 system of warning beacons.
  • St Michael's: The suburb now called St Michael's was known as Boresisle until Victorian times, when a church dedicated to St Michael was built to serve this community. The church was consecrated in 1863, but construction of the steeple took a further 12 years.

The Unitarian Chapel, originally called the Old Meeting House, was built c. 1695. A plaque on the wall records that Dr Benjamin Franklin worshipped here in 1783, where he was to hear Joseph Priestley preach.

The town

Tenterden's broad tree-lined High Street offers a selection of shopping facilities, making the town a centre for a number of villages in the area. Tourist attractions draw the visitors: especially the Kent & East Sussex Railway line to Bodiam; a local vineyard; and the Tenterden Folk Festival, held on the weekend of the first Saturday in October each year since 1993.

Tenterden is an important nodal centre with routes radiating to Rolvenden and Hastings (A28), Wittersham and Rye (B2082), Appledore and New Romney (B2080), Woodchurch and Hamstreet (B2067) and Ashford and Maidstone (A28/A262).

Homewood school is situated in Tenterden.

Tenterden Lions Club was formed in 1958; its members serve the community by giving time to local needs and raising money for local, national and international good causes. Every December, Father Christmas travels around Tenterden and some of the local villages providing enjoyment, as well as collecting money to support various good causes.

At Christmas time, Tenterden has a tradition of late-night shopping on the first Friday of December, with Christmas lights, stalls, entertainment and goodies for the whole family, as well as free parking.

Famous connections


The district had a population of 7,600 at the 2001 census.


It is also the name of one of the oldest working railway locomotives in the world, an 0-6-0 tank engine.


  • Tenterden Town Football Club, established in 1889, is based off the High Street, along Recreation Ground Road whereit has played since formation. After many seasons of varied fortunes, for the 2008/09 seasonit has two teams: the 1st XI competes in the Kent County League, and the Reserve XI competes in the Ashford & District Football League, both on a Saturday afternoon. Tenterden's ground hosts the annual Weald of Kent Charity Cup Final, which Tenterden itself has contested on a number of occasions, most recently during the 2000/01 season, losing 3-1 to Tyler Hill.
  • Tenterden Tigers Junior Football Club, established in 1996.
  • Tenterden Cricket Club is based along Smallhythe Road.
  • The Tour de France raced through the town in July 2007, with a sprint for the Maillot vert (green jersey) taking place in Tenterden.
  • Homewood Badminton Club was formed over 30 years ago for intermediate and advanced players. They play every Tuesday at the Tenterden Leisure Centre and participate in local leagues.

Local media

Tenterden has one local commercial radio station, KMFM Ashford, which serves the entire borough of Ashford. The town is also served by county wide stations BBC Radio Kent, Heart Kent and Gold.It lies within the BBC South East and ITV Meridian regions.

The local newspaper is the Kentish Express, published by the KM Group. Tenterden is also served by two free newspapers - Ashford Extra from the KM Group, and yourashford published by KOS Media on Wednesdays.

External links


Travel guide

Up to date as of January 14, 2010

From Wikitravel


Tenterden is a small town of 7,000 situated in the heart of Kent. It has become very popular with tourists and has a large variety of shops, from fashion clothing to the usual tourist fare.

Get in

Most people will arrive by motor vehicle from Ashford, the nearest major town or Hastings using the A28 road.

Get around

Tenterden is relatively small, with most of the attractions within walking distance from the centre.

  • Kent & East Sussex Railway Operates between Tenterden and Bodiam in East Sussex, passing through some very attractive countryside in the process. A one day adult unlimited ticket costs £11. Bodiam Castle is at the end of the line. A trip on the train and a visit to the castle make a good day out. There is a pub at the entrance to the castle which provides good food, as well as the castles gift shop and tea room.
  • Locally produced Biddenden Cider is very good. There are also some local wines.

There is no shortage of good pubs or restaurants.

  • Best Western London Beach Hotel
This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!

1911 encyclopedia

Up to date as of January 14, 2010

From LoveToKnow 1911

TENTERDEN, a market town and municipal borough in the Ashford parliamentary division of Kent, England, 62 m. S.E. by E. of London by the South-Eastern and Chatham railway. Pop. (1901) 3243. It lies on an elevation above the Newnill Channel, a tributary of the Rother, whose flat valley, called the Rother Levels, was an estuary within historic times; and even as late as the 18th century the sea was within 2 m. of Tenterden, which is a member of the affiliated Cinque Port of Rye. The church of St Mildred is Early English and later, and its tall, massive Perpendicular tower is well known for the legend connecting it with Goodwin Sands. The story is that the Abbot of St Augustine, Canterbury, diverted the funds by which the sea-wall protecting Earl Godwin's island was kept up, for the purpose of building Tenterden steeple, the consequence being that in 1099 an inundation took place and ."Tenterden steeple was the cause of the Goodwin Sands." Attached to the church is a penitentiary used in the reign of Queen Mary for the confinement of persons awaiting trial on a charge of heresy. The church of High Halden, in the neighbourhood, is remarkable for its octagonal wooden tower constructed of huge timbers, with a belfry of wooden tiles (shingles), of the time of Henry VI. Tenterden has a considerable trade in agricultural produce and stock. It is governed by a mayor, four aldermen and twelve councillors. Area, 8946 acres.

Tenterden (Tenterdenne, Tentyrden) figures frequently in contemporary records from 1300 onwards. In 1449 Henry VI. incorporated it by the name of a "Bailiff and Commonalty," and united it to Rye. In return for these and other privileges it was to contribute towards the services due from the latter as one of the Cinque Ports. The troubles of 1449 apparently hindered the issue of the charter, since in 1463 Edward IV. brought it into operation. In 1600 it was incorporated under the title of the "Mayor, Jurats and Commons" of the town and hundred of Tenterden, in the county of Kent, the members of the corporation ranking henceforward as barons of the Cinque Ports. A weekly corn market on Friday and a yearly fair on the first Monday in May were granted, both of which are held at the present day. In 1790 a contemporary writer mentions the market as being little frequented, whilst the fair was large and resorted to by all the neighbourhood. This charter was exemplified by that of the year 1700. The size and importance of Tenterden can be estimated from a receipt of 1635 for 90 ship-money, as compared with £70 contributed by Faversham, and £60 by Hythe. tinder Edward III. several refugee Flemings settled in the town and established the woollen manufacture. An old waste book, still preserved, contains entries of amounts of cloth sent from Tenterden to London. By 1835 this trade had completely died out, and Tenterden was suffering from the depression of agricultural interests.

<< Charles Abbott Tenterden

Tenure >>


Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address