From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The A-Team is an upcoming feature film based on The A-Team television series, planned for release on June 11, 2010 by 20th Century Fox. It is directed by Joe Carnahan and produced by brothers Ridley and Tony Scott. The plot will involve a shift from Vietnam to the Middle East, and both Jules Daly and series creator Stephen J. Cannell are involved in the project.
According to writer Michael Brandt, the adaptation will be more in vein of Die Hard, The Bourne Identity, and Casino Royale.
Like the original series, the story follows the adventures of three United States soldiers who were arrested for a crime they did not commit. After managing to escape from military prison, the three join forces with Captain H.M. Murdock, their reconnaissance pilot, as a team of soldiers of fortune.
On October 30, 2009, Dwight Schultz (who had recently gained fame among younger fans as a voice actor, in TV shows such as Ben 10 and Chowder) confirmed that he had filmed a cameo scene for the movie. This news was followed on the November 23, 2009, that Dirk Benedict would also make a cameo. Schultz and Benedict played H.M. Murdock and Templeton 'Faceman' Peck respectively in the original series. Mr. T, the original B. A. Baracus, admitted in an interview with Latino Review that he was offered a cameo, but turned it down.
The film has been in development since the mid 1990s, going through a number of writers and story ideas, and being put on hold a number of times. Producer Stephen J. Cannell hoped to update the setting, perhaps using the first Gulf War as part of the backstory. John Singleton was initially assigned to direct, but in October 2008 he pulled out of the project. When Singleton was still attached to the project as director, Ice Cube was approached for the role of B.A. Baracus.
In June 2009, Variety revealed that Liam Neeson was in negotiations with 20th Century Fox to star as Hannibal Smith, and Bradley Cooper announced to MTV News that he will be playing the role of Templeton Peck after he first denied the rumors saying that he was involved and insisted that he had not seen any script.
On August 26, 2009, MMAjunkie.com reported that mixed martial arts fighter Quinton "Rampage" Jackson would play the role of B.A. Baracus in the upcoming film, but this was later denied by a representative for Jackson. In September 2009, The Vancouver Sun suggested that Jackson has been attached to the role and was postponing his fight at UFC 107 with Rashad Evans due to filming for The A-Team. Filming started in Vancouver in late 2009, and Jackson's involvement has since been confirmed. 
On September 15, 2009, Variety confirmed the casting of Neeson, Cooper and Jackson. They additionally reported that Sharlto Copley and Jessica Biel were in final negotiations to join the cast. Copley would be playing the role of H.M. Murdock and Biel would be playing the ex-lover of Face who is an Army officer in charge of pursuing the team. 20th Century Fox later confirmed that Copley and Biel were cast in the film.
On September 30, 2009, a silver-haired Liam Neeson and the rest of the cast were seen filming scenes in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, as shooting got under way. The first official pictures of Neeson, Cooper, Copley and Jackson in character were soon released, including one which features the iconic van in the background.
On December 1, 2009, it was announced that Alan Silvestri will compose the film score.
The film's first trailer was released January 8, 2010.
In February 2010, it was announced a series of prequel comics for the movie would be released beginning in March. A toy line is also planned to coincide with the film. 
- ^ "Sharlto Copley and Jessica Biel to join Joe Carnahan’s ‘A-Team’". Blog.reelloop.com. 2009-09-18. http://blog.reelloop.com/news/sharlto-copley-jessica-biel-join-joe-carnahans-ateam/. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
- ^ Plan Coming Together for The A-Team, Variety, March 19, 2008
- ^ "Ridley Scott to remake The A-Team". BBC News. 2009-01-28. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7856758.stm. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
- ^ By (2009-01-27). "Fox assembles 'A-Team'". Variety.com. http://www.variety.com/VR1117999155.html. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
- ^ A-Team Hopes to Bring "A" Game to Silver Screen (originally published by yahoo tv).
- ^ "Creative Screenwriting Interview". Creative Screenwriting.com. http://feeds.feedburner.com/CreativeScreenwritingMagazine. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- ^ EXCLUSIVE: Jessica Biel Reveals New Details About Her ‘A-Team’ Character » MTV Movies Blog
- ^ Sperling, Nicole (2009-09-15). "'A-Team' remake casting update: 'District 9' star Sharlto Copley to play Murdoch; Jessica Biel to also star | EW.com". Hollywoodinsider.ew.com. http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/09/15/a-team-remake-casting-update-district-9-star-sharlto-copley-to-play-murdoch-jessica-biel-to-also-star/?xid=rss-feed-todayslatest-Sharlto+Copley+joins+%27A-Team%27. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
- ^ Dwight Schultz plays cameo part in new A-team movie
- ^ Dirk Benedict Central: "Prescription:Murder" and "The A-Team"
- ^ http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-sorry-fans-mr-t-will-not-appear-in-the-a-team-remake-8869
- ^ A-Team Movie Update, September 4, 2006
- ^ "Singleton Quits A-Team Movie". Imdb.com. http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0592051/. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- ^ Ice Cube Talks About Playing B.A. Baracus In 'A-Team' Movie
- ^ By. "Liam Neeson in talks for 'A-Team' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118004693.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2562. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- ^ Russ Firscher, ""Exclusive: Bradley Cooper says he isn't jumping on the A-Team's van", chud.com, 05-20-2009.
- ^ http://mmajunkie.com/news/15973/ufcs-quinton-jackson-to-play-b-a-baracus-in-the-a-team-movie-remake.mma |date= |accessdate=2009-08-26}}
- ^ "Movies - News - Quinton Jackson 'not joining A-Team'". Digital Spy. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a174207/quinton-jackson-not-joining-a-team.html?rss. Retrieved 2009-08-27.
- ^ "Rampage gets Mr. T role in 'A-Team' movie, will not fight at UFC 107". Yahoo! Sports. http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Rampage-gets-Mr-T-role-in-A-Team-movie-no-figh;_ylt=AmTeDsWMSdZhs0t6R1AUGRk9Eo14?urn=mma,187415. Retrieved 2009-09-04.
- ^ "Quinton “Rampage” Jackson out of UFC 107 fight against Rashad Evans". Five Ounces Of Pain. http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/09/05/quinton-rampage-jackson-out-of-ufc-107-fight-against-rashad-evans. Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- ^ By. "Liam Neeson in talks for 'A-Team' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118008682.html?categoryid=13&cs=12. Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- ^ Sperling, Nicole (2009-09-15). "'A-Team' remake casting update: 'District 9' star Sharlto Copley to play Murdoch; Jessica Biel to also star | EW.com". Hollywoodinsider.ew.com. http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/09/15/a-team-remake-casting-update-district-9-star-sharlto-copley-to-play-murdoch-jessica-biel-to-also-star. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
- ^ "Silver-haired Liam Neeson commands The A-Team as new look cast seen for the first time". Daily Mail. 2009-10-01. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1217409/Pictured-Silver-haired-Liam-Neeson-commands-The-A-Team-new-look-cast-seen-time.html. Retrieved 2009-10-01.
- ^ "Entertainment Tonight's Set Visit and Our Official First Look at the A-Team". News in Film. 2009-10-23. http://www.newsinfilm.com/2009/10/23/entertainment-tonight-a-team-set-visit-and-official-first-look/.
- ^ "Alan Silvestri has been slated to score 'The A-Team' for director Joe Carnahan" (12-01-2009); cf. "Alan Silvestri slated to score 'The A-Team'" (Movie Score Magazine, 12-02-2009).
- ^ http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/the-a-team/trailer
- ^ http://www.collider.com/2010/02/23/the-a-team-comic-book-series-will-act-as-a-prequel-to-the-movie-cover-art-and-info-here/