|The Royal New Brunswick Regiment|
|Part of||Royal Canadian Infantry Corps|
|Motto||Spem-Reduxit (Hope Restored)|
World War II
|Colonel-in-Chief||H.M Queen Elizabeth II|
The Royal New Brunswick Regiment (RNBR) is a reserve infantry regiment of the Canadian Forces based in New Brunswick. It consists of two battalions, both of which are part of 37 Canadian Brigade Group. The regiment as it is now, was formed in 1954 by the amalgamation of the Carleton and York Regiment, The New Brunswick Scottish and the North Shore Regiment. The history of RNBR can be traced back to the 13th Regiment of Foot. They are the most decorated unit in Canada with over 70 battle honours.
The North Shore Regiment was formed in the early 1870s to provide a permanent non-militia support for the counties of North Shore, Kent, Northumberland, Gloucester and Restigouche, and was initially the 73rd Northumberland Battalion of Infantry. In 1922 it was renamed the 2nd Battalion Royal New Brunswick Regiment (North Shore), "North Shore Regiment" for short. The North Shore Regiment fought in both World Wars and in 1914 was one of the first Canadian units to fight in the Great War. Many of the regiment's men fell in the 'Vimy Ridge' campaign and many believe that this action is what gave Canadians their first true feeling of national identity and pride.
During World War II the North Shore Regiment was attached to the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division and landed on Juno Beach in Normandy on D-Day during Operation Overlord. After landing on the portion of Juno beach entitled 'Nan', their objective was to capture the town of St. Aubin, a heavily fortified German post. Although they broke through the German defences and got into the town, they were pinned down by sniper fire until help from other Canadian forces arrived. They did complete their objective, though not without suffering a total of 125 casualties.
The Carleton and York Regiment was formed in 1937 by the amalgamation of two New Brunswick regiments, the Carleton Light Infantry and the York Regiment, and through them, can trace its origins back the county militias first raised in 1787. The Carleton and York Regiment was mobilized in 1939 as part of the 3rd Brigade of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division. During World War II the Regiment saw action in Sicily, Italy and North West Europe.  The regiment was moved to North-West Europe in March 1945. The "2nd Canadian Infantry Battalion (Carleton and York Regiment)" mobilized on June 1, 1945, for service with the Canadian Army Pacific Force but Japan surrendered before the force could be sent into action. 
The New Brunswick Scottish was an infantry regiment of the Canadian Army. Originally founded as The South New Brunswick Regiment in 1946 by the amalgamation of The Saint John Fusiliers (M.G.) and The New Brunswick Rangers, the regiment acquired its present title in 1946 shortly after establishment. In 1954, as a result of the Kennedy Report on the Reserve Army, this regiment was amalgamated with Carleton and York Regiment to form 1st Battalion The Royal New Brunswick Regiment (Carleton and York).
|1st Battalion, The Royal New Brunswick Regiment (1RNBR) (Carleton and York)||Fredericton, Edmundston, Grand Falls, and Saint John|
|2nd Battalion, The Royal New Brunswick Regiment (2RNBR) (North Shore)||Bathurst, Newcastle, and Campbellton|
The regiment has deployed members from the 1st and 2nd Battalions to Afghanistan for 6 months tours as part of Operation Athena with Joint Task Force Afghanistan 2007. A handful also augmented the 2nd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group. Training was conducted all over Canada from May 1, 2006 until deployment between December and February 2007.
The Princess Louise Fusiliers
|The Royal New Brunswick Regiment||Succeeded by:
The West Nova Scotia Regiment