The Full Wiki

Thomasschule zu Leipzig: Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

St. Thomas School of Leipzig
Thomasschule zu Leipzig
Schola Thomana Lipsiensis
Hillerstraße 7
04109 Leipzig

Saxony,  Germany
Coordinates 51°20′13″N 12°21′36″E / 51.33694°N 12.36°E / 51.33694; 12.36
Type Public Boarding School
Religious affiliation Lutheran. (From 1212 to 1539 Roman Catholic; Lutheran since the Evangelical Reformation)
Patron saint(s) Thomas the Apostle
Established 1212
Founder Augustinians
Superintendent Burgomaster Prof. Dr. phil. Thomas Fabian (University of Applied Sciences), Alderman for Youth, Social, Health and School
Principal Kathleen C. Kormann
Vice principal Dr. math. Ute Hofmann
Chaplain Pastor Christian Wolff (St. Thomas Church)
Staff 67
Grades 5 to 12
Gender Coed, Boys' choir
Age 10 to 18
Number of students 485
Language German
Classrooms 40
Campus Forum Thomanum
Campus Urban
School Colour(s)          
Green and white
Rival School of the Cross, Dresden
Newspaper Thom Times
Alumni Old Thomaner
Alumni Thomanerbund e.V.
Chair Prof. Dr. theol. Christoph M. Haufe
Choir St. Thomas Choir
Cantor Prof. Georg C. Biller

St. Thomas School, Leipzig (German: Thomasschule zu Leipzig Latin: Schola Thomana Lipsiensis) is a coed and public boarding school in Leipzig, Germany. It was founded by the Augustinians in 1212 and is one of the oldest schools in the world.

St. Thomas is known for its art, language and music education in the Free State of Saxony. The Humanistic Gymnasium has a very long list of distinguished former students, including Richard Wagner (1813–1883) and many members of the Bach family (e.g. Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach (1714–1788)).

From the 800-Year Anniversary Celebration in 2012 the St. Thomas Choir (Thomanerchor) and St. Thomas School will be part of Forum Thomanum, an internationally oriented educational center.




St. Thomas School was founded as schola pauperum, run by the Canons Regular of St. Augustine, in 1212 by Margrave Dietrich von Meißen (1162–1221). The St. Thomas Church was founded with the school. The St. Thomas School is first mentioned in documents dating to 1254 making it among the oldest schools in Europe.

In 1539 the city of Leipzig took over ownership of the school. All members (Thomaner) of the boys choir (Thomanerchor) attend the school along with other pupils. The Thomaner live in the school's own boarding school, Thomasalumnat.

The school's first building was in the present courtyard of the St. Thomas Church. In 1553 an outbuilding was built there. Johann Sebastian Bach extended these buildings during his time as conductor of the choir (Thomaskantor); in 1829 they were reconstructed. In 1877 a new building was erected in the Schreberstraße to meet a shortage of space. In 1881 a new building for the boarding school was finished.

During the Nazi era the school continued its normal curricula. The school endured the bombings of the night of 3 December 1943 with only the gym and the buildings across from the boarding school being destroyed. The then-rector, Günther Ramin, decided to move the choir boys to the Königlich Sächsische Fürsten- und Landesschule Sankt Augustin school in Grimma. Because of this, and because most of the older students were enlisted, the University of Leipzig was allowed to use the school's building for its own purposes. The rector's decision to move the choir boys was proved right during the bombings of 20 February 1944 when the school's buildings were destroyed. After that, the remaining pupils attended 41. Volksschule on the Hillerstraße. At some stage, the choir boys rejoined these pupils at Hillerstraße.

In 1973 the school moved into a new building in the Pestalozzistraße (now Telemannstraße), but the boarding school remained in the Hillerstraße. The new communist regime in East Germany tried to make an exemplar atheist school out of St. Thomas school, but the church's influence was immense.

After the German reunification in 1990 the pupil's numbers increased. In 2008 the school offers its students mathematics, natural sciences, music, and linguistic courses.

On September 2000 the school moved into the restored original building on the Hillerstraße. In 2008, there are 485 pupils and 67 teachers. Prior to 1973, all the Thomascantors were also teachers at the school and all presidents of the Thomaschoir were also the school's rectors. Since 1973 those roles have been separated.

Foreign languages

Cultivating classical languages is an old tradition at St. Thomas School. All students study Latin as their first or second foreign language, including the Qualification in Latin (Latinum). Combined with the modern language English the pupils learn fundamental foreign language skills. Although there are offered advanced courses (Leistungskurse) in those subjects. Interested students are welcome to take the First Certificate in English (FCE). The tradition of the school and its roots in European culture are the motive for providng Ancient Greek classes from 8th grade as well as a Qualification in Greek (Graecum). Also St. Thomas offers Romance languages, like French and Italian.

Student exchange programs and stays in Europe and in Anglo-America are possible.

Notable alumni

Notable former teachers

See also


External links

Coordinates: 51°20′13″N 12°21′36″E / 51.33694°N 12.36°E / 51.33694; 12.36



Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address