From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Three Wolf Moon picture sublimated on to aluminum pet ID tag.
Three Wolf Moon is a T-shirt, featuring three wolves howling at the moon. The numerous ironic reviews for this on Amazon.com have become an Internet phenomenon. The T-shirt was designed by artist Antonia Neshev.
The Three Wolf Moon T-shirt gained popularity after attracting facetious reviews on Amazon.com attributing great power to it such as being irresistible to women, striking fear into other males and magical healing abilities. The distinctive early review by "Bee-Dot-Govern" in November 2008 concludes:
||Pros: Fits my girthy frame, has wolves on it, attracts women
Cons: Only 3 wolves (could probably use a few more on the 'guns'), cannot see wolves when sitting with arms crossed, wolves would have been better if they glowed in the dark.
Since this original review was posted, more than 1600 similar reviews have been posted.
The T-shirt is manufactured by The Mountain Corporation, a wholesale clothing company in Keene, New Hampshire. Their art director, Michael McGloin, said that they were making many more shirts in response to the great demand which had made it the top selling item in Amazon's clothing store. Due to the success of the shirt on growing The Mountain Corporation's business, the New Hampshire Division of Economic Development named the Three Wolf Moon shirt the official New Hampshire T-shirt of economic development.
On August 24 2009 the Three Wolf Moon shirt was introduced to the Amazon UK store and promoted on the front page, with the words, "With over 1,300 reviews, the Three Wolf Moon T-shirt is hot news in the US. Harness the power of the wolves - get yours now."
Parodies and attributions
A similar shirt featuring Keyboard Cats instead of wolves has been produced at the T-shirt design site Threadless. In July 2009, this was the most highly-rated design there. The video game apparel company J!NX has a version of the shirt featuring Worgen from the popular MMO World of Warcraft. In October 2009 T-shirt website 80stees.com released the "Three Teen Wolf Moon" T-shirt, featuring images from the 1985 film Teen Wolf.
- ^ a b Peter Applebome (May 24, 2009). "Think a T-Shirt Can’t Change Your Life? A Skeptic Thinks Again". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/25/nyregion/25towns.html.
- ^ a b Daniel Emery (21 May 2009), Joke review boosts T-shirt sales, BBC, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8061031.stm
- ^ http://www.amazon.com/review/R2XKMDXZHQ26YX Amazon.com: B. Govern "Bee-Dot-Go...'s review of Three Wolf Moon T-Shirt
- ^ Steve Johnson (May 20, 2009), Three Wolf Moon T-shirt inspires wave of snarkiness on Amazon product reviews -- and sales skyrocket, Chicago Tribune, http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/chi-talk_3wolfmoonmay20,0,7693470.column
- ^ "State Hopes To Harness Power Of 'Three Wolf' Shirts". WMUR. 2010-01-27. http://www.wmur.com/money/22343878/detail.html. Retrieved 2010-01-27.
- ^ http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002DGFYFA
- ^ Tom Phillips (23 July 2009), Three Keyboard Cat Moon: and the internet did rejoice, Metro, http://theridiculant.metro.co.uk/2009/07/three-kayboard-cat-moon-and-the-internet-did-rejoice.html
- ^ http://www.80stees.com/products/Full-Moon-Teen-Wolf-T-shirt.asp
- ^ Wil Wheaton (28th Feb 2010), Wil wearing the shirt during the 2010 Olympics, http://twitter.com/wilw/statuses/9794935176
- ^ Wil Wheaton (28th Feb 2010), Photo of Wil wearing the shirt, http://twitpic.com/15xan0
- ^ Cher Tippetts (28th Jul 2009), Michael Jackson's Ex-Wife Visits His Dermatologist's Office, Entertainment Wise, http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/49327/michael-jacksons-exwife-visits-his-dermatologists-office--pictures
- ^ Desiree Malinao (11th Aug 2009), Three Wolf Moon T-Shirt at SES San Jose 2009, http://pocketchange.become.com/2009/08/three-wolf-moon-t-shirt-at-ses-san-jose-2009.html