The Full Wiki

More info on Toledo, Peoria and Western Railway

Toledo, Peoria and Western Railway: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Toledo, Peoria and Western Railway (reporting mark TPW) is currently a short-line railroad that operates from Mapleton, Illinois through Peoria across Illinois to Logansport, Indiana and includes a branch line between Logansport to Winamac, Indiana. TP&W has trackage rights between Galesburg, Illinois and Peoria, between Logansport and Kokomo, Indiana, and between Reynolds, Indiana and Lafayette, Indiana. Traffic includes agricultural-related commodities, auto parts, coal, steel and chemicals. TPW has connections with UP, BNSF, NS, CSXT, CN, CP, CERA, CIM, KBSR and T&P.

Contents

History

Toledo, Peoria & Western's earliest ancestor was the Peoria and Oquawka. The eastern extension began construction, three years after its charter, in 1855.

The Toledo, Peoria & Western was incorporated in Illinois on March 28, 1887 and consolidated the operation of the Toledo, Peoria, and Warsaw Railway and the Logansport, Peoria, and Burlington Railroad. The Logansport, Peoria and Burlington Railroad, built from Galesburg to East Burlington, Illinois in 1855, reached Gilman, Illinois in 1857, and Effner in 1859. A TP&W passenger train was involved in the Great Chatsworth Train Wreck in Chatsworth, Illinois in 1887.

The Toledo, Peoria & Western Railroad purchased six Class H-10 Northerns from the American Locomotive Company in 1937. These locomotives were given road numbers 80 through 85 and were the lightest 4-8-4 ever built for a North American railroad, weighing only 361,000 pounds. They had 69-inch drivers, 23.5 x 30 cylinders, a 250 psi boiler pressure and a tractive effort of 51,000 pounds force.

In January 1960, the ATSF & PRR gained joint control (half interests) of TP&W. When Conrail was created in 1976, the TP&W acquired the former Pennsylvania Railroad trackage from Effner into Logansport, which otherwise would have been abandoned. The value of this trackage diminished in 1981 when Conrail closed the Logansport interchange.

In 1979, the Santa Fe reached agreement to acquire the former Pennsylvania Railroad's interest in TP&W. TP&W was merged into ATSF on December 31, 1983.

The ATSF sold the Lomax-Peoria-Logansport main line on February 3, 1989 to new investors, who reused the TP&W name; TP&W was an independent railroad again. When the parent companies of ATSF and Burlington Northern merged in 1995, TP&W was granted operating rights over BN's line between Peoria and Galesburg, Illinois. Control of TP&W was acquired by Delaware Otsego Corporation in 1996. In 1998, TP&W had revenues of approximately $13.4 million and moved over 59,000 freight carloads and intermodal units. It was acquired by RailAmerica on September 3, 1999, and it is still operated as TP&W.

Advertisements

Keokuk Junction Railway purchases

The Keokuk Junction Railway now owns parts of the old TP&W line, including the Western Illinois & Keokuk section of TP&W (Fulton, McDonough and Hancock counties in Illinois). In December 1986, KJRY purchased 33.5 miles of former TP&W trackage (then owned by the Santa Fe Railroad) from Keokuk, Iowa and Warsaw, Illinois to La Harpe, Illinois. KJRY's feeder line application with the Surface Transportation Board (STB) to acquire the assets of the west end of the new TP&W was granted on 2004-10-28. KJRY completed the acquisition on 2005-02-11, adding 76 miles from LaHarpe to Peoria, the old TP&W main line west of Peoria.

See also

External links


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message