|— Comune —|
|Comune di Treviglio|
Basilica of San Martino.
|Frazioni||Battaglie, Castel Cerreto, Geromina, Pezzoli|
|- Mayor||Ariella Borghi (since June 13, 2006) (Partito Democratico)|
|- Total||31.54 km2 (12.2 sq mi)|
|Elevation||125 m (410 ft)|
|Population (June 2009)|
|- Density||905.2/km2 (2,344.5/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|- Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Saint Martin|
|Saint day||last day of February|
Treviglio pronunciation (help·info) (Italian pronunciation: [treˈviʎʎio], Eastern Lombard: Treì) is a town and comune in the province of Bergamo, in Lombardy, northern Italy. It lies 20 km south of the capital city, in the lower territory called "Bassa" marked by the Adda and the Serio rivers.
Treviglio was founded in the High Middle Ages unifying three pre-existing settlements: Cusarola, Pisignano and Portoli. These were of Celtic, Roman and Lombard origin, respectively. Around the year 1000 Treviglio housed the inhabitants of Oriano, a commune near Brescia, which had been destroyed in the course of the struggle between Arduin of Ivrea and Henry II for the Imperial crown.
From 1225 Treviglio was a free commune whose statutes, dating from 1392, are currently housed in the city's museum. The government was held by 60 consuls, twenty for each of the original ethnic groups, who remained in charge for six months. These statutes also required that no noble could be allowed to live within the city walls.
In 1395 Treviglio gained autonomy from the Empire, which it held until 1789 as a "Separate Land of the Duchy of Milan" excepting several brief Venetian occupations (in 1431-1433, 1448-1453, and 1499-1509). In the course of the last invasion in 1509, the city was burnt down by the departing Venetian troops. The French king Louis XII witnessed the event and vindicated it in the subsequent Battle of Agnadello.
Treviglio joined the Kingdom of Italy in 1860.
Treviglio received the honorary title of city with a presidential decree on January 8, 1960, after a promise of King Victor Emanuel II in 1860.
Agriculture and trade were prominent in the economy of Treviglio well into the 20th century, with a flourishing craft sector producing furniture and silk. Industry is now developed in the mechanics, electrics and chemical sectors. In particular, there are a cycle factory, some heavy chemical plants and a large tractor factory, owned by SAME.
Treviglio has two railway stations. The central station is on the Milan-Venice line, and the west station is on the Milan-Bergamo line. It can be reached by car with State Roads N. 11 (Milano-Brescia) and N. 42 (from Bergamo, to Lodi and Crema). There is also an old building in the south of the west station, which was the austroungaric station.