The USS Osborne underway in the Hudson River, off New York City, during the 1920s. The original print was autographed by Admiral Raymond A. Spruance, USN, circa the 1960s. He was Osborne's Commanding Officer in 1925-1926.
|Builder:||Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, Squantum Victory Yard|
|Laid down:||23 September 1919|
|Launched:||29 December 1919|
|Commissioned:||17 May 1920|
|Decommissioned:||1 May 1930|
|Struck:||22 October 1930|
|Fate:||Sold 17 January 1931
Converted into cargo ship Matagalpa
Burned 26 June 1942; not repaired
Scuttled 6 September 1947
|Class and type:||Clemson-class destroyer|
|Length:||314 ft 5 in (95.83 m)|
|Beam:||31 ft 8 in (9.65 m)|
|Draft:||9 ft 4 in (2.84 m)|
|Propulsion:||26,500 shp (20 MW);
|Speed:||35 knots (65 km/h)|
@ 15 kt
|Complement:||120 officers and enlisted|
|Armament:||4 × 4 in. (102 mm), 1 × 3 in. (76 mm), 12 × 21 in. (533 mm) torpedo tubes|
Osborne was laid down 23 September 1919 at Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, Squantum, Massachusetts; launched 29 December 1919; co-sponsored by Mrs. Elizabeth Osborne Fisher, sister of Lt. (jg) W. E. Osborne and Mrs. C. H. Cox—and commissioned 17 May 1920, Lieutenant Dennis L. Ryan in command.
Commissioned into a peacetime navy curtailed by a retrenching Congress, the undermanned four stacker departed Boston, Massachusetts 25 June to join DesRon 3, Atlantic Fleet. The limited coastal operations of 1920 were supplemented by 2 months of fleet exercises and battle problems off Cuba during the first quarter of 1921. Whether operating out of Charleston, South Carolina, her normal base of operations, or out of the Brooklyn or Philadelphia Navy Yards Osborne regularly steamed southward early each year for these competitive exercises and large scale tactical maneuvers. These useful testing periods brought a familiarization not only with the Caribbean area but also the Pacific coast of Panama. Under the new command of Raymond A. Spruance, Osborne steamed from Boston 18 June 1925, to “show the flag” on an extensive year long cruise in the western half of the Mediterranean Sea and along the western European coastline.
Her sailing days ended 20 September 1929 upon entering the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Osborne decommissioned 1 May 1930 with her crew transferring to the newly recommissioned Taylor (DD–94). In accordance with the agreements reached at the London Naval Disarmament Conference of 1930, she was struck from the Navy List 22 October 1930 and sold for scrap 17 January 1931.
Rather than being scrapped, however, Osborne was converted into a a commercial fruit carrier and renamed MV Matagalpa. During World War II, Matagalpa served as a United States Army freighter until she burned on 26 June 1942 at Sydney, Australia. Matagalpa was not repaired and was scuttled off Sydney on 6 September 1947.