|University Heights Bridge|
|Seen from the Harlem River|
|Other name(s)||207th Street Bridge|
|Locale||Manhattan and the Bronx, in New York City|
|Maintained by||New York City Department of Transportation|
|Total length||268 feet (82 m)|
|Longest span||227 feet (69 m)|
|Opened||January 8, 1908|
The University Heights Bridge crosses the Harlem River, connecting West 207th Street in the Inwood neighborhood of Manhattan to West Fordham Road in the University Heights section of the Bronx. The bridge is operated and maintained by the New York City Department of Transportation. The bridge carries two lanes of traffic in each direction, along with a sidewalk on the south side of the bridge. It may have once carried the now-decommissioned New York State Route 9X.
The first swing bridge on this site had been a previous incarnation of the Broadway Bridge that was being replaced by a new double-level bridge. In June 1906, the old bridge was floated down the river and placed on a newly-constructed center pier. After all the approaches and other construction were completed, the bridge opened to traffic on January 8, 1908. The designer was Alfred Pancoast Boller.
A new bridge was constructed between 1989 and 1992 to replace the decaying previous structure.