University Medical Center, formerly known as Thomason Hospital, is a non-profit public hospital in El Paso, Texas. University Medical Center is licensed by the State of Texas and accredited by the Joint Commission. Since the early 1990s, the White House has designated Thomason as the hospital where the President, Vice President and former Presidents of the United States will be treated should they require medical care while traveling in the region. University Medical Center also provides financial assistance to people in need. Free or discounted healthcare services are available to El Paso County residents who meet certain eligibility guidelines.
University Medical Center first opened as El Paso General Hospital in 1915, in a two-story, adobe building located west of downtown El Paso. One year later, the hospital was moved to 4815 Alameda Avenue in El Paso. In the 1950s, voters created the El Paso County Hospital District, which would govern the General Hospital, agreeing to be taxed to suppor the District which would also provide indigent care. Voters also authorized the construction of the current facility and the hospital was renamed R.E. Thomason General Hospital after former El Paso Mayor, U.S. Congressman and Federal Judge, R. Ewing Thomason.
Thomason Hospital officially changed its name to "University Medical Center of El Paso" on Monday, July 13, 2009. One hospital building will retain the Thomason name as "Thomason Tower".
University Medical Center is overseen by a seven-member panel called the Board of Managers. They are appointed to their posts by El Paso's County Judge and Commissioners to be policy setters for Thomason and its outpatient facilities. They are also responsible for hiring the hospital's Chief Executive Officer. Board members serve two-year terms and are not paid for the work they do on behalf of the county hospital.