The Full Wiki

University of Nebraska at Kearney: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unklogo.png
Motto "You Can, at UNK"
Established 1905
Type Public
Chancellor Douglas A. Kristensen
Faculty 374 (307 full-time, 67 part-time)
Students 6,379 (5,373 undergraduate, 1,006 postgraduate)
Location Kearney, Nebraska, United States
Campus Rural, 235 acres (0.95 km2)
Athletics NCAA Division II--RMAC
Colors Blue and Gold
Nickname Lopers
Mascot Louie the Loper
Website www.unk.edu

The University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK), founded in 1905 as the Nebraska State Normal School at Kearney, is the Kearney campus of the University of Nebraska system.

Contents

History

In March 1903, the Nebraska State Legislature appropriated $50,000 to build a normal school in western Nebraska. In September of that same year, after 111 ballots, the State Board of Education accepted the city of Kearney's offer of 20 acres (81,000 m2) and Green Terrace Hall at the western edge of the city to become the site. On October 18, 1904, the cornerstone of the first building was laid; in the summer of 1905, offered its first classes in Kearney public school facilities. The first classes on campus were held that fall as the building was being completed around them.

In 1921, the name of the institution was changed to Nebraska State Teachers College. In 1963, it became Kearney State College. Both name changes were a part of system-wide changes for the state colleges.

In 1989, a legislative act moved the institution from the Nebraska State College System to the University of Nebraska system. After a Nebraska Supreme Court review, Kearney State College became the University of Nebraska at Kearney on July 1, 1991. Before the affiliation with the University of Nebraska, Kearney State was often referred to as "K State", which is the same informal name as Kansas State University.

State Representative C.J. Warner of Waverly introduced the 1903 bill creating the institution; his son, State Senator Jerome Warner, introduced the bill making UNK a part of the University.

The school mascot is the "loper," as in "antelope," the standard American name for the animal more specifically called a pronghorn. UNK competes in NCAA Division II and is a member of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference. It is also home to the annual Nebraska high school state speech meet and state one-act competitions.

Campus

The UNK campus comprises 32 buildings on a 258-acre (1.04 km2) campus. Not all of the buildings are part of the contiguous campus, and many are used for non-academic purposes.

Advertisements

Residence Halls

Nester Hall is named in honor of former UNK Chancellor William R. Nester who, as President of Kearney State College, led its transition into the University of Nebraska. The William R. Nester and Antelope Halls Complex consists of two new housing units along 9th Avenue that are joined by a walk-through bridge way, that is also a lounge, study area and meeting room. Dr. Nester's name was suggested by many nominators and won wide support from those who commented and from the committee. Nester Hall opened in the fall of 2008.

Antelope Hall Several nominators and the committee suggested that this name honors our Great Plains heritage, which has distinctively shaped the institution. It also aligns with the positive campus identity and tradition. Now completed, Antelope Hall will house 160 students in a mix of two and four person suites.

Centennial Towers West and Centennial Towers East were named in honor of the centennial of Nebraska statehood. Each building is seven stories tall, tying them for the tallest buildings in Kearney, and between them they house approximately 750 students.

Jennie M. Conrad Hall is home to about 75 students, the smallest residence hall on campus. The building is also home to the Office of Residential and Greek Life, the administrative office of campus housing. Third floor of Conrad is supposedly haunted by a ghost.

Lyle E. Mantor Hall houses approximately 320 students with a number of lounge areas, each equipped with pool tables, televisions, and computer facilities.

George E. Martin Hall has the largest rooms on campus, and its spacious lounge area hosts inter-hall band competitions and other events.

Men's Hall was built as a WPA project in the late Depression, and its distinctive Art-Deco design has netted it a place on the National Register of Historic Places. At various times it has contained faculty offices, the campus library, and a cafeteria, but it has been returned to its original use as a residence hall. Despite the name, residence is co-educational.

Everett L. Randall Hall is conveniently located near the center of campus and has a main floor piano for student use.

H.G. Stout Hall is a small residence, home to only about 85 students. To be a resident in Stout Hall students must be members of the Honors Program or have permission from the Honors Program Director.

University Heights is an off-campus apartment complex of one-bedroom and studio apartments. Often referred to as "U-Heights," this facility comprises three buildings about a mile from campus. Space in University Heights is reserved for upperclass students, married students, non-traditional-aged students, and students with children.

University Residence North and University Residence South, known respectively as "URN" and "URS," are homes to the university fraternity and sorority chapters. These buildings between house about 400 students between them and have on-site dining facilities.

In addition to all these buildings, three new state-of-the-art residence halls are currently under construction. The first will be available for occupancy in the Fall of 2007, while the second and third will be completed in Fall of 2008.

Classroom Buildings

The William E. Bruner Hall of Science is home to the departments of Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Health Sciences.

The College of Education Building is the newest classroom building on campus. It is home to the departments of Teacher Education, Educational Administration, Counseling and School Psychology, and Communications Disorders. It is also the site of the office of the Dean of the College of Education.

The Communications Center Building is utilized by the University Communications and eCampus. Originally part of the Nebraska State Tubercular Hospital, it was expanded in 1995 and is now home to eCampus, eCampus Video Services, and University Communications.

Copeland Hall, formerly the campus gymnasium, was refitted in 1961 and is now the seat of the departments of History, Psychology, and Sociology, Geography and Earth Sciences as well as the Dean of Natural & Social Sciences.

The Fine Arts Building is home to the department of Music and the Performing Arts, which includes programs in music, theatre, and dance. The building contains a music recital hall, a proscenium theater, and a black box theater. A wing added to this building houses the department of Art.

Founders Hall is a multi-purpose building and one of the most visible structures on campus. It is home to classrooms and offices for the departments of Mathematics and Statistics, Political Science, Criminal Justice, and Social Work. It also houses administrative offices for the Institutional Research, General Studies, Assessment, and Graduate Studies programs, and numerous university administration offices, including the Chancellor and Vice Chancellor Offices, Finance, Registrar, Human Resources, Business Services, Budget, and AA/EEO.

The Health and Sports Center houses indoor spectator sports for UNK, including locker facilities, equipment rooms, athletic weight area, athletic training facilities, wrestling and martial arts rooms and concession and rest room facilities for the benefit of spectators utilizing the 6000-seat arena. It is also the site of graduation ceremonies every semester.

The Ockinga Seminar Center provides two large seminar rooms used by classes and campus events, as well as office space for International Education.

Otto Olsen Hall is another multi-purpose building, near the center of campus. It houses Information Technology Services, including the Helpdesk and UNKConnections, the campus computer store. The Child Development Center, a child-care facility available for employees and students, is also located in Otto Olsen. Finally, Otto Olsen houses classrooms and offices for the departments of Computer Science & Information Systems, Family Studies & Interior Design, and Industrial Technology.

The Ron & Carol Cope Center for Safety Education and Research includes a driving range and provides space for services offered by the Nebraska Safety Center.

A.O. Thomas Hall was a campus elementary school from 1926-1963, providing an opportunity for Education students to practice teaching in a campus environment. It now houses the departments of English, Modern Languages, and Philosophy.

Roland B Welch Hall was another part of the Nebraska State Tubercular Hospital. The building now houses International Education and the English Language Institute.

West Center was the main building for the old Nebraska State Tubercular Hospital. It now houses the departments of Accounting/Finance, Management, Marketing, Economics, the Safety Center, and UNMC's College of Nursing, Kearney Division.

Other Facilities

The Nebraskan Student Union contains the dining hall, campus bookstore, several fast-food counters and snack shops, rooms for music, TV and study, pool tables, a ballroom used for University activities, and the Office of Multicultural Affairs.

The Calvin T. Ryan Library contains the library and some of the campus computer facilities, and is attached to the Mitchell Communications Center.

Cushing Coliseum, connected to the Health and Sports Center, is the arena for indoor intercollegiate athletics. It is also used for student and faculty fitness and provides locker and exercise space for members of the university community. The building also contains classroom facilities which are used by the Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Leisure Studies programs.

The Facilities Building houses offices for the physical plant operations.

The General Services Building was originally built as the Military Science building in 1969. Since the ROTC left campus in 1995, this building has housed some of the physical plant operations, as well as Public Safety.

The Memorial Student Affairs Building houses Admissions, Honors, Campus Post Office, Career Services, Counseling and Health Care, Student Support Services, Financial Aid, and Academic Advising Center.

The Museum of Nebraska Art, founded by the state legislature and located in Kearney since 1986, is administered as a department of the University.

The Frank House is a Richardsonian Romanesque mansion on the western edge of campus, formerly the residence of the administrator of the Nebraska State Tubercular Hospital. Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Frank House is maintained as a museum and is open to the public, as well as being used for University functions.

Noted alumni

Noted faculty

Notes

  1. ^ Aujla, Simmi (November 27, 2009). "Professors of the Year: Award Winners Are Celebrated for Innovative Teaching". The Chronicle of Higher Education LVI (14): A7. 

References

External links


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message