|University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee|
|Chancellor||Carlos E. Santiago|
|Location||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA|
|Campus||Urban, 93 acres|
|Athletics||15 varsity teams|
|Colors||Black and Gold|
|Mascot||Pounce the Panther|
The University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee (also known as UW–Milwaukee, UWM or Milwaukee) is a public research university located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States. As Wisconsin's urban university, UW–Milwaukee is one of the two doctoral granting public research universities in the state. It is also the second largest university in the state of Wisconsin, with a total student enrollment of 29,000 and 1,349 faculty members.
Located in Milwaukee's upper East Side close to Lake Michigan, the University is home to 14 schools and colleges, and 70 academic centers, institutes and laboratory facilities. It offers a total of 166 degree programs, including 87 bachelor's, 51 master's and 28 doctorate degrees.
In 1885, the Milwaukee State Normal School opened for classes at 18th and Wells in downtown Milwaukee. Over the next 42 years, the Milwaukee State Normal School saw 7 different presidents, the addition of music and liberal arts programs and rapid growth from an initial enrollment of 46. In 1909, the Milwaukee State Normal School moved from downtown to the current location near the lakefront when a new building, now Mitchell Hall, was completed. In 1927, the Milwaukee State Normal School changed its name to the Wisconsin State Teacher’s College in an effort by the State Normal School Regents to refocus on the instruction of teachers. The college became one of the nation's top teacher's training college in the 1940s. In 1951, the Legislature empowered all state colleges to offer liberal arts programs. The Wisconsin State Teacher’s College consequently became Wisconsin State College of Milwaukee, which became part of the then University of Wisconsin 5 years later.
University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee was founded with the belief that Milwaukee needed a great public university to become a great city. In 1955, the Wisconsin state legislature passed a measure to create a large public university that offers graduate programs in Wisconsin's largest city. The current University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee was established in 1956, as a result of the merger between the old University of Wisconsin and the Wisconsin State College of Milwaukee (WSCM). The new university consisted of the WSCM campus near the lakefront and the University of Wisconsin extension at downtown Milwaukee. The first commencement of the new University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee was held on June 16, 1957. On June 13, 1958, socialist mayor Frank P. Zeidler was the first person to receive an honorary doctorate from the university. From 1956-1971, this new school, the University of Wisconsin–Madison and the latter's affiliated 10 freshman-sophomore centers and state-wide extensions. were part of a merged system under separate governance. In 1971, the state legislature merged this entity with the Wisconsin State Universities to form a united University of Wisconsin System under a single board of regents.
In the 50 years since adding the Milwaukee campus to the UW System, UWM has expanded to 12 schools and colleges and now offers 84 undergraduate programs, 48 graduate programs and 22 doctoral degrees, with a university-wide focus on academic research, teaching and community service. In 2005, UW–Milwaukee surpassed UW–Madison in the number of Wisconsin resident undergraduate students as well as graduate students and became the university with the largest enrollment of Wisconsin residents.
In 2006, UW–Milwaukee was ranked as the ninth best “Saviors of Our Cities” by the New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE), because of its strong positive contribution of careful strategic planning and thoughtful use of resources that have dramatically strengthened the economy and quality of life of Milwaukee.
UW–Milwaukee was voted by the public as one of the top ten "Gems of Milwaukee" in 2006.
Colleges and schools at University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee include:
University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee is ranked by Vanguard College Ranking among the top 100 universities in the U.S. It is also ranked as one of the top 500 world universities in the Academic Ranking of World Universities compiled by Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 2007. It is also ranked 181st in the Webometrics Ranking of World Universities produced by Cybermetrics Lab, a unit of the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC), the main public research body in Spain.
The School of Architecture and Urban Planning was ranked among the top twenty by U.S. News and World Report in a recent report. The journal DesignIntelligence in an annual edition of "America's Best Architecture & Design Schools" has also ranked the School of Architecture and Urban Planning among the top twenty and second in the Midwest, as well as tied for third in their ‘Most Innovative Programs’ category. The Key Center for Architectural Sociology ranked School of Architecture and Urban Planning 18th in research performance among more than 130 schools in North America. The Journal of Planning Education and Research, ranked UWM's Department of Urban Planning 10th nationally among masters-only programs based on the number of publications per faculty member. The Ph.D. program in architecture also has been recognized as a leader in environment-behavior research.
The graduate program of the School of Education is ranked top by U.S. News & World Report and is cited among the top 3% of research universities by the Carnegie Foundation. The Social Work program is ranked by U.S. News and World Report among the top 1% in the nation. The College of Nursing has also been consistently ranked in the top 10% by US News & World Report. The Management Information Systems (MIS) program of Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business is ranked 19th in the U.S. and 24th in the world by a study published in Communications for the Association for Information Systems The School of Information Studies is also ranked among the very best in the nation. In addition, many other individual programs at UW–Milwaukee are also nationally or internationally ranked.
Golda Meir Library is the university's main library. The Library has more than 4.5 million catalogued items, many of which are available electronically through electronic reserve, web-based online catalog, searchable databases and indexes. The building was first constructed in 1967 and then expanded with the addition of the East Wing in 1974 and conference center in 1987. It was named for Golda Meir, the fourth Prime Minister of Israel, who graduated in 1917 from the Milwaukee State Normal School, a predecessor of University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee. The Golda Meir Library is also home to the American Geographical Society Library (AGSL), which "consists of well over one million items, and includes maps, atlases, books, journals, pamphlets, photographs, slides, Landsat images, and digital spatial data.", according to the UWM Libraries website.
There are about 500 students enrolled in the Honors College and about 60 students graduate with the Honors degree each year. The Honors College offers the benefit of the personalized education of a small liberal arts college to a selected group of talented and motivated students within a large urban research university. Students in the Honors College have a designated writing tutor, special advisors, private study space in the library and opportunities to engage in undergraduate research.
The Honors College is open to students in all majors and disciplines. Freshmen are admitted to the Honors College according to their high school record, ACT composite score, and Wisconsin English Placement Test score. Current or transfer students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5, fewer than 40 credits, and have completed the UWM English requirement to be eligible.
The UWM Research Foundation supports and commercializes the university's research and innovations. It provides intellectual property management, technology transfer, corporate sponsored research and strategic corporate partnership services to UWM researchers and industry corporations
Research Growth Initiative (RGI) is a research administration of the university. It is designed to expand UWM’s research enterprise through investment in project proposals with anticipated return on investment through extramural funding. Proposals are evaluated by external reviewers with national reputations and ranked according to their quality, rewards and risk. Projects are awarded each year in March and are intended to commence on or after July 1. Regents have recently approved/supported a request by Chancellor Carlos Santiago for funds to develop a School of Public Health and the nation's first School for Freshwater Studies.UWM graduate students are in high demand and this project provides for an increase of 100 internships.
The 93 acre UWM campus is located in a pleasant residential area on Milwaukee’s upper East Side. It is considered one of the safest campuses in Wisconsin The campus is just five blocks from the shoreline of Lake Michigan, and is less than a ten-minute drive from downtown Milwaukee. Several Milwaukee County Transit System bus routes provide the campus with easy access to public transportation in Milwaukee. The overall campus is physically shaped like an "L," and is divided into central, west and north quads. In addition to the campus proper, UWM incorporates a large number of other sites throughout the Milwaukee metropolitan area making the campus' actual size far larger than is initially apparent to most visitors.
The central north of the Central Quad is the UWM Golda Meir Library, a major library of the country. The library consists of three parts: the West Wing, East Wing and the conference center on the top. The West Wing and the East Wing were completed in 1967 and 1974 separately. The two structures are joined by passageways in the basement and on the second and third floors. The northern extensions of the East and West Wings and a fourth floor conference center facility were completed in 1987. In 1979, the Library was named for Golda Meir, the fourth Prime Minister of Israel, who attended Milwaukee State Normal School, a UWM predecessor institution.
The central south of the Central Quad is the UWM Union, a center for student activities.In the Summer of 2008 the union provided some changes for students. The computer lounge added 50 computers, new furniture, flooring, and is now open whenever the union is. Golda Meir Library on the north and the UWM Union on the south are connected by the Ernest Spaights Plaza. Overtowering the Ernest Spaights Plaza on the west side is Bolton Hall which houses the Departments of Sociology, Anthropology, Political Science, Economics, Urban Studies, and Geography.
West of Bolton Hall is Lubar Hall, home of Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business. This four-story facility consists of 150,000 square feet (14,000 m2) of classroom, computer labs and office space and can accommodate 2,000 students in its instructional facilities at one time. Originally constructed in 1995 as the Business Administration Building, it was renamed in 2006, Lubar Hall in honor of Sheldon B. Lubar, a prominent Milwaukee businessman, civic leader and philanthropist. Lubar is founder and chairman of Lubar & Company, Inc., a private investment firm. His commitment to UWM and higher education spans more than three decades including service as a past president of the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents. Lubar's distinguished career of public service also includes his work as Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and Commissioner of the Federal Housing Administration. The building's original automated light and temperature controls featured a system called The Lighting Showcase by the Wisconsin Electric Power Company. It was designed to provide maximum energy efficiency for the most highly utilized academic building on the UWM campus. In addition to providing nearly 200 offices, there are three lecture halls, with a total of 785 seats; seven arc-shaped classrooms; 10 U-shaped classrooms; an Executive MBA classroom; three computer labs; and two levels of underground parking.
On the east side of the Ernest Spaights Plaza are the Music Building, the Theatre building and Mellencamp Hall. Main buildings on the east side of the central quad include Mitchell Hall, sometimes known as "Old Main," which was the home of the original Milwaukee State Teachers College; Garland and Pearse Halls (which formerly housed Milwaukee-Downer Seminary); Curtin Hall; etc.
The north side of the North Quad contains the Downer Woods, a wooded area and conservation center. On the west side of North Quad are the Sandburg Residence Halls, a complex comprising four high-rise dormitories. Sandburg Residence Hall houses about 2,700 students.
In the central part of North Quad, there are the school's indoor sports facilities the Klotsche Center and its new addition the Pavilion. Next to the indoor sports facilities is Chapman Hall and the 11-story Enderis Hall, which houses the College of Health Science, School of Education, School of Information Studies, and the Helen Bader School of Social Welfare.
The east side of the North Quad is a group of old red buildings, including Holton Hall, Merrill Hall, Johnston Hall, Sabin Hall, etc. These old buildings were acquired by the University in the Milwaukee-Downer College campus purchase.
The West Quad is the location for the College of Engineering and Applied Science, the College of Nursing, the School of Architecture and Urban Planning, and the natural science departments. The College of Engineering and Applied Science is housed in the EMS building. The Physics Building is to the south, and the Chemistry Building and Lapham Hall (housing the Biology and Geosciences Departments) are to the east. Cunningham Hall on the northwest side houses the College of Nursing.
The award winning Architecture and Urban Planning Building on the east side of the West Quad was completed in 1993. With more than 143,000 square feet (13,300 m2), it is one of the largest school of architecture buildings built in the U.S. in the last 40 years. The exterior of the L-shaped building has brick walls accented by metal panels and large windows. Full glass walls facing onto the central courtyard afford a view of that area from almost every room in the building. Inside, the air ducts, light fixtures and structural system have been left exposed, providing a unique architectural teaching environment. The building includes student design studios, classrooms, a lecture hall, exhibition areas, computer labs, offices, a media and photography center, and research centers.
Surrounded by the buildings in the West Quad is Engelmann Field, home to the Milwaukee Panthers men's and women's soccer teams. Built in 1973, the 2,000-capacity stadium is tucked between buildings in the middle of the West Quad, making it a unique stadium among American sports venues. Engelmann Field is home to the longest-running in-season tournament in NCAA Division I men's soccer, the Panther Invitational. The tournament entered its 34th year in 2007.
UWM has had two mascots and nicknames: Cardinals (1956-1964) and Panthers (1964-present).
The Panthers currently rank 182nd out of all 336 NCAA Division I schools in this years NACDA Director's Cup standings administered by National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics. The Panthers also have won the McCafferty Trophy as the Horizon League's all-sports champion for three straight and four of the last six years.
UW–Milwaukee competes in the ten-member Horizon League, of which they became a member in 1994. Since moving up to the Division I level for all NCAA sports in the 1990-91 season, the UW–Milwaukee Panthers have quickly become prominent on the national landscape, particularly in men's and women's basketball as well as men's and women's soccer (the men's soccer program has competed at the Division I level since its inception in 1973). A total of 15 Panthers athletic teams compete at the NCAA level for UWM.
With an appearance in the Sweet Sixteen of the 2005 Men's Basketball NCAA Tournament, the university received much attention from the national media. Other sports in which Milwaukee competes include baseball, women's volleyball, men's and women's cross country, men's and women's indoor and outdoor track and field, men's and women's swimming and diving, and women's tennis.
The men's baseball and women's volleyball teams have also enjoyed national success in recent years, with the baseball team posting six 30-win seasons in the last nine years and advancing to three NCAA Tournaments since 1999 including a win over # 1 ranked Rice in the first round of the 1999 NCAA Tournament. The volleyball team has qualified for six of the last nine NCAA Tournaments and has compiled an all-time record of 867-477-7 through the end of the 2006 season.
At the club level, UW–Milwaukee's men's and women's teams are some of the most successful in the country. The football team, known as Milwaukee Panther Football, has been very successful in its first few years of creation, going 4-0 in its first year, 2003.
University Housing manages all of the residence halls for UWM students. There are 5 university-managed facilities for students to choose from: Cambridge Commons (Fall 2010), Kenilworth Square Apartments, Purin Hall, RiverView Residence Hall, and Sandburg Halls. University Housing maintains a Facebook page and Twitter account for current and prospective residents.
Sandburg Halls is the largest student residence hall on campus. It is a four-tower complex of 2,700-student housing capacity in 3- and 4-room suites. The North, South, and West towers were built in 1970, with the East tower opening in 2000. Since the East tower is newer, it is quite different from the other towers. All East tower suites have full-size kitchens and a dining area. Sandburg Hall went through a transformation in summer of 2008 when a new environmentally friendly roof was installed. Following a design by associate professor Jim Walsey, this change was intended to prevent overflows and backups into neighbouring homes. Facilities inside the building include a cafeteria, fitness center, convenience store, coffee shop, computer lab and a second-run movie theater for student residents. Sandburg Halls also has a lot of space for recreational activities with lots of grass space, a big patio with lots of seating, tennis courts, basketball courts, and sand volleyball.
Purin Hall, the second on campus residence hall is on the corner of Downer and Kenwood. It is a small building that houses approximately 50 students in apartment-style suites.
Kenilworth Square is slightly south of the main campus and has room for about 330 upper-class, graduate, and older students in 1-, 2-, and 3-bedroom apartments in a converted Ford factory which also houses part of the Peck School of the Arts.
RiverView Residence Hall, opened to first year students in 2008, is located several blocks west of Kenilworth Square and has room for 470 students. There are a 24-hour University Housing shuttle, MCTS, and BOSS (Be On the Safe Side, the university shuttle service) running between the residence hall and the main campus. First year students can also attend some classes within the residence hall.
Cambridge Commons will be the newest residence hall project, expected to begin housing 700 students in Fall 2010. Approximately 140 spaces will be available for returning residents in apartment-style suites to include living rooms. The remaining spaces will be 2-room suites (each room at double occupancy) with a shared bathroom and refrigerator. The lobby will feature a fireplace lounge, music practice rooms equipped with recording technology, and computer lab. Cambridge is expected to be a LEED Gold certified building, boasting two green roofs, solar panels, and a green courtyard which reduces rain runoff using a 20,000 gallon holding tank.
In addition to these university-managed residence halls, students can also find apartments and rental houses in the surrounding neighborhood. The Neighborhood Housing Office is available to help students seeking off-campus housing.
There are several communications media run by UWM students. Campus newspapers include the UWM Post and the Leader, with the Post being the older of the two. The Post is a weekly newspaper independently run by the students. The Leader is an art and entertainment newspaper published every other Wednesday. The Leader is back to print publishing, despite past staffing and funding issues. Journalism students also run Frontpage Milwaukee, an online newspaper.
Journalism & Mass Communication students also run PantherVision, a weekly, award-winning news program distributed via the Higher Education Cable Consortium to approximately 300,000 households in Southeastern Wisconsin.
The College of Letters and Science runs WUWM, a Milwaukee public radio station serving southeastern Wisconsin with news, public affairs and entertainment programming; it is not, however, a student-run station.
UWM also is home to the award winning Broadcast-Club which has won numerous awards and is an innovative club which gives students insight to the broadcast field
There are about 300 student organizations on campus. The governing body is the Student Association of the University, which under Wisconsin's "shared governance" system (statute 36.09(5)) interacts with the University administration and the student body to insure students rights and interests. Other student organizations in the university vary greatly in nature, ranging from political (SDS), academic, cultural, and fraternal/sororal ("Greek"), to sports clubs.
Four venues provide performance space for UWM's Peck School of the Arts including music, dance, theater and film. Musical performances are held in the Bader Concert Hall located in the Helene Zelazo Center for the Performing Arts or the Recital Hall adjacent to the Arts Center courtyard. Theatrical performances are held in the Mainstage Theater or Studio Theater located in the Theater Building next to Spaight Plaza. Dance performances are held in Mitchell Hall Dance Studio located on the second floor. The department of film recently opened a new venue to showcase new student films in Kenilworth Square.
Several main characters in the television show Happy Days (set in Milwaukee) were students at this university in later seasons of the show. UWM banners also hung inside the characters' regular hang-out, "Arnold's Drive-In." To match the time period of the show, Happy Days used the red-and-white colors and the Cardinals mascot, which was in use by UWM during this period.
Early in the fifth season of the FOX television series House, MD, a framed UWM credential is visible on the office wall of Dr. Lisa Cuddy. It is not apparent what degree or honor this document is intended to represent.
In addition to an on-campus University Police Department staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, with an authorized strength of 33 full-time sworn police officers, UWM provides a safety escort service and an emergency alert notification system.