University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point
Uwsp-logo.svg
Established 1894
Type State university
Chancellor Mark Nook (Interim Chancellor)
Faculty Over 400
Students 8,700
Location Stevens Point, Wisconsin, United States
Campus Small town, 400 acres (1.6 km²)
Colors Purple & Gold            
Nickname Pointers
Mascot Stevie and Stephanie Pointer
Website http://www.uwsp.edu

The University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point (also known as UW–Stevens Point or UWSP) is a public university located in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. It is part of the University of Wisconsin System, and grants associate, baccalaureate, and master's degrees.

Contents

History

UWSP opened its doors in 1894 as Stevens Point Normal School after securing land and funding from the city of Stevens Point and the county. In addition to teacher preparation, "domestic science" (home economics) and conservation education were offered; the latter formed the basis for the College of Natural Resources, nationally recognized[citation needed] for undergraduate and graduate training in natural resources.

In 1927 Stevens Point Normal School became Central State Teachers College and began offering four-year teaching degrees. When post-World War II enrollment became less centered on teacher training and more focused on liberal arts education, the Wisconsin State Legislature intervened, elevating the school to a Wisconsin State College with the authority to grant bachelor's degrees in liberal arts.

Ever larger numbers of students in the 1950s and 1960s led to construction on campus throughout the 1960s and early 1970s. It was during this period, in 1964, that the college became a Wisconsin State University and began offering graduate degrees. Again in the 1970s the school's name changed from WSU-SP to the University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point after the two state university systems merged. UWSP has graduated over 70,000 students since opening its doors. Over 40,000 of these alumni live in Wisconsin.

Lee S. Dreyfus became Chancellor in 1974 before going on to become the state of Wisconsin's 40th Governor. Governor Dreyfus was inaugurated on the lawn in front of Old Main on the UWSP campus in 1979.

In 2007 a Sustainability Task Force was created to help achieve the future goal of a carbon neutral campus.

The campus played host to the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League for their first training camp in 1995. It was part of what was known as the Cheese League, a collection of teams that hold training camp in Wisconsin. Beginning in 1996, the Jaguars have held their training camp in Jacksonville.

Advertisements

Location

In Stevens Point, Wisconsin a blocks north of State Route 66 and southwest of Interstate 39/U.S. Route 51.

A 410-acre campus with 42 buildings, including a 275-acre nature preserve and 24-acre lake.

Sororities and fraternities

The Greek Community consists of three sororities and five fraternities on campus. All of the greek organizations meet and collaborate as one, known as Inter-Greek Council. The sororities on campus are: Delta Phi Epsilon, Gamma Phi Delta, and Phi Omega. The fraternities on campus are: Sigma Tau Gamma, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, Theta Xi, and Phi Sigma Chi.

Old Main is the current Administration Building
Welcome sign
The Communication Arts building, the headquarters for the WWSP-FM trivia contest
Stevie Pointer, the UWSP mascot.

History of the DeBot Center

1967- DeBot Center opened in January, and was intended as a residential dining area for students on the west side of Reserve Street. The cost of DeBot was about $1.5 million and equipment cost of $110,000.

2003- The Lower level of the University center including Campus Activities and Student Invovlement and Employment is renovated at a cost of $2 million. The campus employment and Intramurals become part of the Centers.

2004- The Lower level of DeBot was remodeled and the Convenience Store received a major upgrade to provide more dining and seating options. Wireless access was added to the lower DeBot area.

2005- The Upper level of DeBot received a $2 million renovation in the summer. The three dining rooms and portions of the kitchen were reconstructed. Each room has an individual theme with finishes, differing configurations, movable partitions, and activity centers.

History of Centers of UWSP

1950- The campus had its first student union in the basement of Delzell Hall, a men's residence hall. It consisted of a billiard table, a black and white TV set, and a kitchenette in a large open room. Games, an ironing board and an iron were donated by several student organizations.

1951- The institution had a name change to Wisconsin State College.

1955- Enrollment swelled to 1,188 and during the following year, the Board of Regents established a Student Union Fee. This fee was collected in anticipation of construction of a separate Student Union Building.

1959- The first Student Union building opened, which is currently the east part of the present University Center. It contained about 35,000 square feet. The cost of the building was a little over a half a million dollars with about $35,000 worth of equipment in it.

1960- Campus enrollment exploded all over the nation. UW-Stevens Point ended the decade with more than four times the number of students enrolled at the beginning of the decade. Lawmakers and educators saw the enrollment booms coming, and were able to enlarge facilities almost as needed even though three to five years was necessary for the planning and construction time of a building.

1964- The Allen Center was opened as a residential dining area and intended for students on the east side of Reserve St. A second dining area was being planned instead of an addition to Allen Center. Two dining centers, it was assumed, would mean less travel to meals for each student, and would allow a smaller group in a given building to get to know each other better than would be in the case in a single, large food facility.

1964- Another institutional name changed occurred, changing Wisconsin State College to Wisconsin State University.

1965- an addition was put on the University Center at a cost in excess of a half million dollars. The addition doubled the 35,000 square feet to 70,000 square feet.

1967- DeBot Center opened in January, and was intended as a residential dining area for students on the west side of Reserve Street. The cost of DeBot was about $1.5 million and equipment cost of $110,000.

1970- Since the previous decade, enrollment increased from less than 2,000 to nearly 9,000 students. Student enrollment was somewhat established, and all the areas of the campus were afforded some time to sit back and see what had been established. Some programs that had to be established quickly to accommodate increasing enrollments during the 1960's could now be evaluated and improved.

1971- Wisconsin State University was changed to University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point as the two, sometimes competitive, higher education systems in Wisconsin were merged into a single system.

1972- Facility work continued to bring space and services to the needs of the 1970's level of population. In January, Allen Center was completed. Completion involved finishing the ground level area from a concrete shell.

1998- The addition of a conveniently located passenger elevator over the summer made the UC more user friendly and accessible.

2002- The Box office and the Multicultural Resource Center (which still reports to Multicultural affairs) area moved into the UC.

2003- The Lower level of the University center including Campus Activities and Student Invovlement and Employment is renovated at a cost of $2 million. The campus employment and Intramurals become part of the Centers.

2003- The Allen Center is fully converted to a Health & Wellness facility. Programs located in Allen include: Outdoor Edventures, the Cardio Center, a Massage Center, Student Health Promotions, and Group Fitness. Centers Facilities support is also located in Allen Center.

2004- The Lower level of DeBot was remodeled and the Convenience Store received a major upgrade to provide more dining and seating options. Wireless access was added to the lower DeBot area.

2005- The Upper level of DeBot received a $2 million renovation in the summer. The three dining rooms and portions of the kitchen were reconstructed. Each room has an individual theme with finishes, differing configurations, movable partitions, and activity centers.

2006- A $23.7 million renovation was approved for the University Center. Some of the new additions made to the building included a theater, an expanded Laird room, a larger 2 story concourse for retail spaces, more lounge areas, and a larger computer lab. A new entrance on the North West corner of the addition allows for a more inviting concourse entrance.

2008- The newly renamed and renovated Lee Sherman Dreyfus University Center reopened after 18 months of being closed for construction. Lee Sherman Dreyfus (June 20, 1926 – January 2, 2008) was an American politician and member of the Republican Party who served as the 40th governor of Wisconsin from January 4, 1979 to January 3, 1983.

Radio station

WWSP-FM is the University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point's alternative radio station. It is the largest student operated radio station in the Midwest.[citation needed] It broadcasts commercial free on 89.9FM 365 days per year from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. (with summer hours of 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m.)

WWSP hosts the world's largest trivia contest, which was founded in 1969 and has since become a long-standing tradition for both the university and the entire community. Hundreds of teams with thousands of members participate in the contest every year, usually in April.

In addition to the radio station, UWSP also has a campus television station, STV.

Clubs

International Club

International Club is one of the largest student organizations at UWSP. Its purpose is to promote and encourage an exchange of cultures between and among nations by providing opportunities for friendship, understanding, and the social interest of members. Our activities are characterized by cultural, educational, and social components in an attempt to bring together international and American students in quest of "One World for Peace."

http://www.uwsp.edu/stuorg/iclub/

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5862627366&ref=search&sid=1396507766.106801704..1&v=info#/group.php?gid=148231636907&ref=ts

Chinese Cultural Club

This organization is open to any full or part time student, faculty member of the UWSP, or anyone living in the surrounding community of Stevens Point interested in Chinese Culture and willing to pay dues (a small membership fee per semester) to the organization to find out more.

Besides its regular member meetings, CCC has engaged in a variety of activities, including organizing the Chinese Spring Festival dinner party every spring, participating in the Portage County International Cultural Fair, organizing and participating in picnics, organizing the a Chinese Move Festival series, and so on.

CCC would like to take this opportunity to extend their warm welcome to all of you and encourage you to join their effort in promoting international awareness, cultural diversity, knowledge about other countries and civilization, mutual understanding among students with different ethnic and cultural backgrounds on the campus, and most of all, to make students' lives at the UWSP more interesting, colorful, and memorable!

Black Student Union

The Black Student Union at UW-Stevens Point was founded in 1978 to foster a sense of community among all students of the African Diaspora at UWSP.

The mission of BSU is to stimulate the intellectual, political, cultural, and social growth of all UWSP students. Through enriching programs such as General Meetings, various programs, Leadership and Mentoring Program, and community service, they seek to educate themselves and the larger UWSP Community, in hopes that awareness will spark action and ignite change in our communities.

Hmong and South East Asian American Club (HaSEAAC)

HaSEAAC is a student organization that serves to provide an extensive understanding of the South East Asian culture for UWSP and the surrounding communities. It promotes education and positive self-images to students of all levels, and offers a chance for Asian American students to demonstrate their leadership skills and teamwork through a variety of activities. In the past, HaSEAAC has sponsored a number of activities such as cultural shows, volleyball tournaments, dances, conferences, and many other social and fund raising activities. HaSEAAC members have attended conferences and other important events at other campuses. HaSEAAC will continue these activities in the future and will be open to any new suggestions from the members and other students.

Athletics

Student-athletes in twenty different sports at UWSP are participating in the NCAA division III. Men’s and Women’s ice hockey teams are competing in Northern Collegiate Hockey Association (NCHA) and other sports teams are members of the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WIAC).

Football

One of the most popular athletic teams at UWSP is men’s football team, which finished the 2008 season with 9-2 (6-1, WIAC) record and ranked seventh among NCAA division III football teams prior to the beginning of 2009 season. Pointers Football team also holds an annual Spud Bowl game sponsored by famous local potato farms and brewery companies at its first home game of the season. Pointers Football team plays its home games at Goerke Field, which is also known as the home of Stevens Point Area Senior High (SPASH) football and Pacelli High School Football.

Basketball

Men’s and Women’s basketball teams have combined four NCAA III titles since 1987. Women’s basketball team won the title in 2002 in 15 years after its first NCAA III title in 1987. Men’s basketball team won the back to back NCAA III title in 2004 and 2005. Men’s basketball team finished 2008-2009 season with 24-5 record and ranked fourth in the NCAA III 2008-2009 basketball final poll].

Baseball

Since 2004, UWSP Men's baseball has been coached by former Pointer, Pat Bloom. In just five seasons, Bloom has already become UWSP all-time winningest coach with a 161-78 career record. He also led the program to back-to-back Division III World Series appearances in 2006 and 2007, as well as four straight WIAC Tournament titles(2005-2008).

The 2007 season was the best finish in school history. The Pointers won one fewer game than their previous season(34-17 in '07 and 35-18 in '06) but finished third at the World Series, and improvement from a fifth place finish in 2006.

Softball

In 2009, the Pointer Women's softball team had a 24-11 (8-6, WIAC) record. The team is currently coached by Tom Henke. He is in his second year as the Pointers head coach. The team won the WIAC conference in 2001. In 1998, the Pointers won the Division III National Championship. The softball team play their home games at Zenoff Park and McCarty Field.

Notable alumni

Notable faculty

Landmarks

The Schmeeckle Reserve, a nature preserve, is located on the university.

External links

Coordinates: 44°31′24″N 89°32′40″W / 44.523393°N 89.544349°W / 44.523393; -89.544349


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message