The Full Wiki

Voghera: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Voghera
—  Comune  —
Città di Voghera
The Cathedral of Voghera.
Voghera is located in Italy
Voghera
Location of Voghera in Italy
Coordinates: 44°59′33″N 09°00′33″E / 44.9925°N 9.00917°E / 44.9925; 9.00917Coordinates: 44°59′33″N 09°00′33″E / 44.9925°N 9.00917°E / 44.9925; 9.00917
Country Italy
Region Lombardy
Province Pavia (PV)
Frazioni Medassino, Oriolo, Valle, Torremenapace, Campoferro
Government
 - Mayor Aurelio Angelo Torriani (since April 2005)
Area
 - Total 63 km2 (24.3 sq mi)
Elevation 96 m (315 ft)
Population (December 08, 2007)
 - Total 39,328
 - Density 624.3/km2 (1,616.8/sq mi)
 - Demonym Vogheresi or Iriensi
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 - Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 27058
Dialing code 0383
Patron saint San Bovo
Saint day First Friday before Ascension
Website Official website
The Castle of Voghera in a 19th century etching.

Voghera (Lombard: Vughera) is a town and comune of Lombardy, Italy, in the province of Pavia. It is located 30 km south-southwest of that city, on the Staffora (a tributary of the Po).

The neighbourhood produces much silk, in which, as well as in corn and wine, an active trade is carried on.

Contents

History

Known in ancient times as Iria, it took its name from the river on which it was situated. It was on the road from Piacenza to Dertona, and was made a colony by Augustus (colonia Forum Iulium Iriensium).

In the 1st century CE it was destroyed by the Rugi, and it is next mentioned as Viqueria in the 10th century. After several lordships, it was acquired by the House of Savoy in 1743 with the Concordat of Worms. Five years later it became provincial capital and received the city status.

In 1800 it was occupied by the troops of Napoleon, who set his headquarters in the Palazzo Dattili for the battle of Montebello. In 1805 it became part of the département of Genoa; after the French defeat in 1814, it was captured by the Austrians, who handed it over to the Piedmontese. In 1860 it was included in the province of Pavia.

During World War II, owing to its strategic position on the roads Milan-Genoa and Turin-Bologna, it was heavily bombed by the Allies.

On May 31, 1962, it was the location of a railway disaster that killed 62 people.

Main sights

  • The Castle, erected by the Visconti in 1335-1372.
  • Palazzo Gounela, the current Town Hall.
  • The large Cathedral of Saint Lawrence dates from the 11th century, but was remodelled in the Baroque style about the beginning of the 17th.
  • The church of St. Joseph, with a noteworthy Baroque façade.
  • The suppressed church of Sant'Ilario, also known as Tempio alla Cavalleria or Chiesa Rossa ("Cavalry Temple" or "Red Church"), so called from the red colour of the brick of which it is built. It dates from the 8th-10th centuries.

The Historic Museum houses, among the others, the personal A112 car of General Carlo Alberto Dalla Chiesa, killed by the Mafia in 1982, and the weapon that allegedly killed Benito Mussolini.

Notable people

Twin cities

References

Advertisements

1911 encyclopedia

Up to date as of January 14, 2010

From LoveToKnow 1911

VOGHERA (anc. Iria), a town of Lombardy, Italy, in the province of Pavia, and 19 m. by rail S.S.W. of that city, 305 ft. above sea-level, on the Staffora (a tributary of the Po). Pop. (1901) 14,453 (town); 20,442 (commune). The fortifications erected by the Visconti in the middle ages have given place to shady promenades. The large church of San Lorenzo dates from the 11th century, but was remodelled in the baroque style about the beginning of the 17th. The suppressed church of S. Ilario (Chiesa Rossa), so called from the red colour of the brick of which it is built, dates from the 10th century. The neighbourhood produces much silk, in which, as well as in corn and wine, an active trade is carried on. The ancient Iria took its name from the river on which it was situated. It was on the road from Placentia to Dertona, and was made a colony by Augustus (colonia Forum Iulium Iriensium).


<< Sir Julius Vogel

Georg Joseph Vogler >>


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message