|Mark Cross Windmill|
The converted mill
|Mill name||Walter's mill|
|Mill location||TQ 585 315
|Number of sails||Four sails|
|Type of sails||Patent sails|
|Auxiliary power||Gas engine|
|Number of millstone pairs||Two pairs|
Walter's Mill was first mentioned in 1845 and is thought to have been built by the Arnold brothers of Paddock Wood, Kent. The mill was working by wind until 26 July 1911, when it was burnt out. The mill was refitted and driven by a gas engine, at that time having a crenellated top, which was removed in the early 1930s. the mill building was converted and extended to form a house in 1962. In 2005, it was announced that the owners planned to rebuild the cap and sails, and return the mill to a more traditional appearance in the long term.
Walter's Mill is a five storey tile hung brick tower mill. It had four Patent sails. The Kentish style cap was winded by a fantail. The mill drove two pairs of underdrift millstones. The converted tower stands today, with the window and door openings having been enlarged during the conversion.
References for above:-
Hemming, Peter (1936). Windmills in Sussex. London: C W Daniel. Online version