The Full Wiki

Walton-le-Dale: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coordinates: 53°44′46″N 2°39′54″W / 53.746°N 2.665°W / 53.746; -2.665

Walton-le-Dale
Walton-le-Dale is located in Lancashire
Walton-le-Dale

 Walton-le-Dale shown within Lancashire
OS grid reference SD562280
District South Ribble
Shire county Lancashire
Region North West
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town PRESTON
Postcode district PR5
Dialling code 01772
Police Lancashire
Fire Lancashire
Ambulance North West
EU Parliament North West England
UK Parliament Preston
List of places: UK • England • Lancashire

Walton-le-Dale is an area of the Borough of South Ribble, in Lancashire, England. It lies on south bank of the River Ribble, and the south-side of the city of Preston, adjacent to Bamber Bridge.

Walton-le-Dale was formerly an urban district in the Darwen parliamentary division of Lancashire, with a population recorded to be 11,271 in the United Kingdom Census 1901.

Contents

History

The Romans built a working fort at the junction of the River Darwen and River Ribble at Walton-le-Dale. This fort was named Belisama.

The church of St Leonard, situated on an eminence to the east of the town, was originally erected in the 11th century. The earliest portions of the present building are the Perpendicular chancel and tower, the nave having been rebuilt in 1798, while the transepts were erected in 1816.

There are a number of interesting old brasses and monuments. Cotton-spinning is carried on, and there are market gardens in the vicinity. Roman remains have been found here, and there was perhaps a roadside post on the site.

The manor of Walton was granted by Henry de Lacy in about 1130 to Robert Banastre. It afterwards passed by marriage to the Langtons, and in about 1592 to the deHoghtons of Hoghton. Walton was the principal scene of the Battle of Preston, fought on 17 August 1648 between Cromwell and the Duke of Hamilton.

In 1701 the Duke of Norfolk, the Earl of Derwentwater and other Jacobites incorporated the town by the style of the mayor and corporation of the ancient borough of Walton. In 1715 the passage of the Ribble was bravely defended against the Jacobites by Parson Woods and his parishioners of Atherton.

Close to Walton-le-Dale on the River Ribble in 1840 at Cuerdale workmen found the Cuerdale Hoard, the largest Viking treasure discovered in Western Europe.

Transport

Walton-le-Dale is served by Stagecoach North West, John Fishwick and Sons buses, and Preston Bus's Park & Ride.

Local government

The local council is South Ribble, based in Leyland and the local MP is Mark Hendrick of Preston (Labour).

Legends

At midnight on 12 August 1560, under the moonlight in St Leonard's Churchyard, occultist and scholar Dr John Dee summoned the spirit of a man who had died before giving the whereabouts of a considerable amount of money. It is said that he was successful and the spirit did indeed tell the occultist the whereabouts of the wealth, but not before also predicting to Dee the fate of many of the locals, which is said to have later come true. This section incorporates text from the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, which is in the public domain.

Notable people

Notable residents include Ian McCulloch, 2005 World Snooker Championships Semi-Finalist.

References

External links

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message