From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome Freshmen is a television show that ran on Nickelodeon from 1991 to
The show took place at Hawthorne High School with a group of high
school students and a bumbling vice principal.
Welcome Freshmen was filmed at Nickelodeon
Studios in Orlando, Florida.
Seasons 1 and
The earlier episodes of the series consisted of comedy sketches
that loosely followed a theme. Some of the comedy routines involved
a tortoise named Mortis teaching children about safety, a
documentarian named Mr. History who talks about past generations of
freshmen, the vice principal Mr. Lippman imagining himself as a
stand-up comedian, and a student named Billy Cushman who, though
his appearance was occasional, provided not only a good example of
how not to behave, but also a good example of flatulence.
Each episode had two or three short skits about the gang's
misadventures in high school.
- Mr. Lippman, the Vice Principal doing the
morning announcements (at the same time, imagining how he'd
really like to say them).
- The Merv-u-mentary, Merv's amateurish
attempt at uncovering news and scandals at the high school.
- Mr. History, featuring the gang as
high school students of a past time period.
- Mike Who, featuring close-ups of a
sidelined high school basketball player who driving the crowd wild
with a single wave. Eventually cut after Vice Principal "Pervert"
Lippman said it was too distracting, resulting in a tense showdown
between Lippman and Who.
In the later episodes, the sketch comedy format was abandoned
and Welcome Freshmen became a standard situation
In the third season, the gang became sophomores, except Walter
who flunked and was held behind. Merv and Tara left, and new
characters came in: Manny and Erin (incoming freshmen) and Grant, a
junior who was Erin's brother and soon became Alex's boyfriend.
- Jocelyn Steiner as Alex Moore
- Rick Galloway as Walter Patterson
- Chris Lobban as Kevin St. James
- Veronica Alicino as Miss Topaz
- Arian Waring Ash as Erin Kelly (1992-1993)
- Janis Benson as Miss Petruka
- Brock Bradley as Grant Kelly (1992-1993)
- Nicholas Caruso as Manny Barrington (1992-1993)
- David Rhoden as Merv (1991-1992)
- Jill Setter as Tara (1991-1992)
- Mike Speller as Mr. Elliott Lippman
- Nick Barnes as Billy Cushman