|Home Rule Municipality|
|Elevation||220 ft (67.1 m)|
|Area||14.7 sq mi (38.1 km2)|
|- land||14.6 sq mi (38 km2)|
|- water||0.1 sq mi (0 km2), 0.68%|
|Density||1,143.5 /sq mi (441.5 /km2)|
|- summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Location of Whitemarsh Township in Montgomery County
Location of Whitemarsh Township in Pennsylvania
Location of Pennsylvania in the United States
Whitemarsh Township is a Home Rule Municipality in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, United States. However, it maintains its former classification of "Township" in its official name. The population was 16,702 at the 2000 census.
Whitemarsh was originally inhabited by the Lenni Lenape tribe of Native Americans. It was first settled by the colonists in 1683, as part of a tract of land owned by Major Jasper Farmar. Shortly after its founding, in 1683, the discovery of limestone in nearby Oreland drew settlers to Whitemarsh. Whitemarsh Township was incorporated in 1704 as part of Philadelphia County and was one of the 28 original communities that comprised Montgomery County when it was erected in 1784.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 14.7 square miles (38.1 km²), of which, 14.6 square miles (37.8 km²) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.3 km²) of it (0.68%) is water.
Adjacent to the Andorra section of Philadelphia, Whitemarsh is bordered in Montgomery County by Springfield, Upper Dublin, Whitpain, and Plymouth Townships and Conshohocken Borough. It is also bordered by the Schuylkill River, which separates it from Lower Merion Township.
As of the census of 2000, there were 16,702 people, 6,179 households, and 4,597 families residing in the township. The population density was 1,143.5 people per square mile (441.4/km²). There were 6,372 housing units at an average density of 436.3/sq mi (168.4/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 93.29% White, 2.21% African American, 0.02% Native American, 3.70% Asian, 0.14% from other races, and 0.63% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 0.99% of the population.
There were 6,179 households out of which 34.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.4% were married couples living together, 7.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.6% were non-families. 20.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.06.
The age distribution was 24.3% under the age of 18, 5.0% from 18 to 24, 29.8% from 25 to 44, 25.1% from 45 to 64, and 15.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 93.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $78,630, and the median income for a family was $91,731. Males had a median income of $58,774 versus $41,977 for females. The per capita income for the township was $39,785. About 1.6% of families and 2.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.8% of those under age 18 and 3.1% of those age 65 or over.
|2008||40.5% 4,311||59.0% 6.275|
|2004||42.8% 4,336||56.9% 5,767|
|2000||42.4% 3,685||55.5% 4,822|
|1996||42.4% 3,173||49.4% 3,698|
|1992||43.3% 3,537||42.4% 3,495|
Whitemarsh Township is governed by a five member Board of Supervisors. The current Board is three Democrats and two Republicans. The Chairperson is Leslie Richards, and the Vice-Chairperson is Sara Erlbaum.
The Fort Washington State Park is a 483-acre (1.95 km2) site located in the middle of the township, along the Wissahickon Creek. Miles Park Which is located on Germantown Pike at the intersection of Joshua Road includes basketball courts, baseball fields and a walking track. It also has a snack bar and has vending machines.
The Colonial School District provides public education to the children of Whitemarsh Township.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 276) and the Route 309 Expressway (Pennsylvania Route 309) run through the township. Although neither have an interchange in Whitemarsh, the turnpike has an interchange in nearby Plymouth Township, and the Route 309 expressway also has an interchange in Fort Washington which also connects with the turnpike. Arterial roads in the township include Ridge, Germantown, Butler, Skippack, and Bethlehem Pikes, Stenton and Pennsylvania Avenues, and Joshua and Morris Roads.
The most prominent of these are the R5 and R6 Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) rail lines, both of which have stations in the township. The R5 line, which connects Bucks, Chester, Montgomery, and Philadelphia Counties has a station in the Fort Washington section of the township. The R6 line, which runs along the Schuylkill River, has two stations located in Miquon and Spring Mill.
There are no airports in Whitemarsh Township. The closest airport is the Wings Field.