William Polk Carey (1930-) born in Baltimore, Maryland is an American businessman and founder of W. P. Carey & Co. LLC, a corporate real estate financing firm headquartered in New York City. The world’s largest publicly traded limited liability company, W. P. Carey currently owns more than 650 commercial and industrial facilities throughout the United States, Europe and Asia, comprising more than 90 million square feet (8 million square meters) of space.
Carey has deep familial roots in Baltimore. His great-great-great-grandfather James Carey was an 18th- and 19th-century Baltimore shipper, chairman of the Bank of Maryland, a member of Baltimore's first City Council and a relative of Johns Hopkins. His grandmother, Anne Galbraith Carey, conceived of the Gilman School for boys in Roland Park. As a young man Carey left Roland Park's Gilman School to go to the Pomfret School in Connecticut, then attended Princeton University and the University of Pennsylvania, before establishing himself in New York City. Carey currently resides in New York City and Rensselaerville, NY.
Carey is benefactor to the Arizona State University College of Business. In 2002, Carey donated $50 million to the College of Business. In recognition of his gift, the University renamed its business school the W. P. Carey School of Business.
Carey announced December 5, 2006 his donation of $50 million to The Johns Hopkins University. He is a trustee emeritus at Hopkins and is donating the money through his W.P. Carey Foundation. The gift is the largest to Hopkins in support of business education and will be called the Carey Business School. The Hopkins business school will be named after William Carey's great-great-great-grandfather, James Carey. The school offers a Master of Science in Real Estate program, one of the first in the Baltimore/Washington, D.C. corridor.
In the mid 1990's, the Gilman School started discussing the much needed renovations of Carey Hall, the school's main building which houses the Upper School students. Carey Hall, named after Carey's grandmother, was constructed in 1910 and remained the same until late 2006. Carey donated 10 million dollars to the school's capitol campaign fund, a sum that was one fifth of the total amount of money raised for the renovation of Carey Hall. On December 10, 2007 Carey Hall was officially re-opened as Carey cut the ribbon signalling the start of a new generation in a new, updated Carey Hall.