From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Captain William Winde (c. 1645-1722) was an English gentleman architect, whose Royalist
military career, resulting in fortifications and topographical
surveys, and his later career, as designer or simply "conductor" of
the works of country houses, has been epitomised by Howard Colvin, who
said that "Winde ranks with Hooke, May, Pratt and Talman as one of the
principal English country-house architects of the late seventeenth
century" (Colvin 1995, p 1066).
Winde was born in Holland
to English parents.
Time has not been kind to his productions. His work
- Hampstead Marshall, (for William Craven, 1st Earl of Craven), where
he completed a house begun by Sir Balthazar Gerbier, c. 1662-1688, from
the dates on many surviving drawings. Thomas Strong, mason;
Edward Pierce, carpenter; Edward Goudge, plasterer. Destroyed by
fire 1718. Gate piers remain.
- possibly Cliveden House, Buckinghamshire (for George Villiers,
2nd Duke of Buckingham) c.1676-8. Destroyed by fire 1795 and
- Coombe Abbey,
near Coventry (for the
Earl of Craven). Rebuilt centre block and north wing, c. 1682-88.
North wing demolished.
- Buckingham House (for John
Sheffield, 1st Duke of Buckingham), 1702-05. Completely
embodied in Buckingham Palace.
- Powis House, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London (for First Marquess of
Powis) 1682-89. (later Newcastle House).
- Belton House
near Grantham, Lincolnshire, is attributed to him.
- Castle Bromwich Hall, 1686-1703.
Capt. Winde also gave designs for parterre gardens
He married Magdalene, daughter of Sir James Bridgemen. His
correspondence with his cousin Lady Mary Bridgemen of Castle
Bromwich Hall, at the Staffordshire Record POffice, .
Geoffrey Beard, "William Winde and Interior Design",
Architectural History 27, Design and
Practice in British Architecture: Studies in Architectural History
Presented to Howard Colvin (1984:150-162)
Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects,
1600-1840 (3rd ed. 1995)