|Town subdivisions||10 districts|
|Mayor||Thomas Pink (CDU)|
|Area||78.46 km2 (30.29 sq mi)|
|Elevation||77 m (253 ft)|
|Population||54,124 (31 December 2006)|
|- Density||690 /km2 (1,787 /sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Postal codes||38300, 38302, 38304|
Wolfenbüttel is a town in Lower Saxony, Germany, located on the Oker river about 13 kilometres south of Brunswick. It is the seat of the District of (Landkreis) Wolfenbüttel and of the bishop of the Protestant Lutheran State Church of Brunswick. It is also the southernmost of the 172 towns in northern Germany whose names end in büttel, meaning "residence" or "settlement."
It is not known when Wolfenbüttel was founded, but it was first mentioned in 1118 as Wulferisbutle. The first settlement was probably restricted to a tiny islet in the Oker river.
Wolfenbüttel became the residence of the dukes of Brunswick in 1432. Over the following three centuries it grew to be a centre of the arts, and personages such as Michael Praetorius, Johann Rosenmüller, Gottfried Leibniz, and Gotthold Ephraim Lessing lived there. The ducal court eventually returned to Braunschweig in 1753 and Wolfenbüttel subsequently lost in importance.
The Battle of Wolfenbüttel, part of the Thirty Years' War, was fought here in June 1641, when the Swedes under Wrangel and the Count of Königsmark defeated the Austrians under Archduke Leopold of Habsburg.
The town is also the location of the former Northampton Barracks, which housed units of the British Army of the Rhine until 1993 (postcode: BFPO 33).
Today Wolfenbüttel is smaller than the neighbouring cities of Braunschweig, Salzgitter, and Wolfsburg, but, because it was largely undamaged by the war, its downtown is rich in half-timber buildings, many dating several centuries back, and it still retains its historical character. Wolfenbüttel is located on the German Framework Road.
Wolfenbüttel is home of several departments of the University of Applied Sciences Brunswick/Wolfenbütteland the Lessing-Akademie, an organisation for the study of Lessing's works. It is also home to the Niedersächsische Staatsarchiv, the state archives of Lower Saxony.
The herb liqueur Jägermeister is distilled in Wolfenbüttel and the headquarters is still located there. During the second world war, the town was home to an anti-aircraft defence unit under the command of Oberstleutnant Wolfgang Von Mulhallganger. Legend has it that the act of 'Jäger-bombing' coined its name after the Lieutenant-Colonel advised his men to try some of the local spirits to keep up morale with the advancing 94th aerial bombardment group flying towards Braunschweig.
A bridge in Wolfenbüttel is named after each of these cities.