The Full Wiki

Worshipful Company of Butchers: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Entrance to Hall

The Worshipful Company of Butchers is one of the Livery Companies of the City of London, England. Records indicate that an organization of Butchers existed as early as 975; the Butchers' Guild, the direct predecessor of the present company, received the right to regulate the trade in 1331. The Butchers were incorporated by a Royal Charter centuries later, in 1605. The Butchers still, unlike several other Livery Companies, continues to exist as a trade association for members of the industry, instead of turning into an institution primarily dedicated to charity. However, the Company does contribute, as do all Livery Companies, to several charities.

The Company ranks twenty-fourth in the order of precedence of Livery Companies. The Company's motto is Omnia Subiecisti Sub Pedibus, Oves Et Boves, a Latin phrase, from the Book of Psalms, translating to Thou Hast Put All Things Under Man's Feet, All Sheep and Oxen.

Contents

History of The Butchers Hall

The company's home is called the Butchers' Hall. The Hall has had several locations during its history, the first was located in Monkwell Street and dated from the second half of the 15th century. The next Hall near St Bartholomew's Hospital was destroyed in the Great Fire of London of 1666, together with forty-three other Livery Company Halls. Its successor in Pudding Lane (1667-77) was again burnt, rebuilt in 1829-30 and compulsorily purchased by an act of Parliament in 1882. A new Hall was built at the present site in Bartholomew Close (1884-5), this was bombed in both wars, 1915 and again in 1944. The current hall dates from 1960.

Royal connections

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother (Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon) was admitted as an Honorary Freeman of the Company in March 1976, maintaining a bond with the Monarchy that started with King James I in 1605, she took a constant interest in "Her Butchers". Following The Queen Mother's death in March 2002, HRH The Princess Royal (Anne, Princess Royal) was admitted as an Honorary Freeman of The Company in February 2003. As with The Queen Mother, The Princess Royal takes a keen interest in all the activities of The Company.

The arms used on an inn sign

Arms of the Butchers Company

Arms: Azure two Poleaxes in saltire Or blades inwards between two Bulls' Heads couped in fesse Argent on a Chief of the last a Boar's Head couped Gules tusked of the second langued of the first between two bunches of Knee-Holly Vert banded Gold

Crest: [Upon a Helm on a Wreath of the Colours] A Bull Statant Or with wings addorsed lined Argent the head forequarters hoofs and tuft of the tail of the first the hindquarters of the second armed Gules about the head a Nimbus Gold

Mantling: Gules doubled Argent

Supporters: On either side a Bull with wings addorsed the head forequarters wings hoofs and tuft of the tail Or the hindquarters Argent armed Gules about the head a Nimbus of the first

Other links

The Butchers connections with the local area remain strong, many Liverymen work at Smithfield Market.

The Butchers' Hall and St Bartholomew's Hospital have also stood side by side for years, forging links that still exist today.

The Butchers also maintain close connections with Commonwealth and international associations and the Australian High Commissioner and New Zealand High Commissioner are both granted Honorary Freedoms of the Company.

St Bartholomew-the-Great is the adopted church of the Butchers and is the setting for the Livery Company's annual Church Service prior to Common Hall. The Honorary Chaplain of the Butchers is by tradition the rector of St Barts.

See also

External links

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message