|- Mayor||Takao Seto|
|- Total||224.70 km2 (86.8 sq mi)|
|- Density||53.1/km2 (137.5/sq mi)|
|- Tree||Japanese Beech|
|- Bird||Copper Pheasant|
1301-4 Yamakita, Yamakita-machi, Ashigarakami-gun, Kanagawa-ken
As of 2010, the town had an estimated population of 11,863 and a density of 52.8 persons per km². The total area was 224.70 km². Much of the town is within the boundaries of the Tanzawa-Ōyama Quasi-National Park.
On April 1, 1889 Ashigarakami district was divided into several villages, including Kawa village. Kawa village was elevated to town status on April 1, 1933 and renamed Yamakita. It merged with neighboring Kyowa, Shimizu and Miho villages on February 1, 1955 and further expanded by annexing the Hirayama area of former Kitaashigara village on April 1, 1955.