From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"You've Got a Friend" is a Grammy Award winning
song from 1971. The song, written by Carole King, was included in her album
Tapestry of 1971, but was made
famous by James
Taylor's cover version the same year. Taylor's rendition,
released as a single from his own 1971 album Mud Slide Slim and the
Blue Horizon, reached number 1 on the Billboard Hot
100 and number 4 on the UK Singles Chart, and won Grammy Awards both
for Taylor (Best Pop
Vocal Performance, Male) and King (Song of the Year).
The song was recorded also during 1971 by Dusty
Springfield, a recording that predates Taylor's version. It was
recorded for her third album for Atlantic Records, but a dispute with
the company meant the album was unreleased. The song was left
unissued until 1999, when it was issued as a bonus track for the Rhino Records deluxe re-release of Dusty in
Another soulful, gospel-tinged live version was recorded by Donny Hathaway on
his 1972's Live album and the
posthumously released These Songs For You, Live!.
The Brand New Heavies
The Brand New Heavies with vocals by Siedah Garrett
covered the song in 1997. The Carole King-penned song "You've Got a
Friend" that was originally made famous by James Taylor. This song
did not appear on the US version of the album.
UK CD Single BNCDP 10
- "You've Got a Friend" (Radio Version) - (3:27)
- "You Are the Universe" (Live) - (4:07)
- "Midnight at the Oasis" (Live) - (4:43)
- "Sometimes" (Live) - (4:18)
UK CD Single 570 013-2
- "You've Got a Friend" (Radio Version) - (3:27)
- "You've Got a Friend" (Brooklyn Funk R&B Remix) -
- "You've Got a Friend" (Ballistic Brothers Mix) - (5:00)
- "You've Got a Friend" (Brooklyn Funk Club Mix) (Featuring
Jemini) - (4:54)
- "You've Got a Friend" (Tee's club Mix) - (6:27)
- "You've Got a Friend" (Original Mix) - (3:48)
"You've Got a Friend" was performed by Céline Dion, Shania Twain, Gloria Estefan and Carole King at the
VH1 Divas Live
concert on April 14, 1998. The event took place in New York City's Beacon Theatre. The
entire concert was released on CD and DVD on October 6, 1998. Mariah Carey and Aretha Franklin
also participated with this event.
"You've Got a Friend" was issued as the second radio single to
promote VH1 Divas Live, after "(You Make Me Feel
Like) A Natural Woman." It peaked at number 74 on the Belgian
Flanders Airplay chart.
Formats and track
European promotional CD single
- "You've Got a Friend" (live) – 5:28
|Belgian Flanders Airplay Chart
A number of other artists have covered "You've Got a Friend." A partial
Jackson In his album Got to Be There with Motown Records in 1971.
Franklin recorded the song for her album "Amazing Grace"
(1972) as a medley with "Take My Hand, Precious
Punk group McFly on their double A-side single "All About You/You've Got
a Friend" and that single scored number 1 in UK and
Anderson on her album "How Can I Unlive
- Gospel singers
Angelo & Veronica on their album Angelo &
- Rhythm and
blues singer LaVern Baker on her album Woke Up This
- Jazz saxophonist Bob Belden on his King tribute album
- Jazz clarinetist Acker Bilk on his album All The Hits
- Acid jazz and alternative
hip hop Group Brand New Heavies on their album
- Petula Clark
on her album Live in London.
- Japanese pop singers Pink Lady on their 1980 American
variety show Pink Lady and
- Reggae musician Jimmy Cliff on his
- Gospel singer Jim Cole on his album An Evening in
- Instrumental jazz group Common Ground on their Taylor tribute
album Fire & Rain.
- Pop singer Billy Crawford on the Japan edition of his self-titled album.
- Country singer Billy Ray Cyrus and pop singer Emily Osment on his
album Home at
- Country music singer Skeeter Davis on her album Love Takes
A Lot Of My Time.
- Jazz pianist Xavier Davis on his
album The Dance of Life.
- Guitarist Alex
de Grassi on his Taylor tribute album Alex de Grassi's
Interpretation of James Taylor.
- Reggae singer Adina Edwards on her album Don't Forget to
- Jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald on her album Ella in
- Gospel singers The Blind Boys of Alabama on
their album Bridge Over Troubled Water.
Flack on her albums Heavy Soul and Roberta Flack &
- Al Green on his album
- American actor/singer Scott Grimes on his self-titled 1989 debut
- Ofra Haza on her
album Ofra Haza 1997.
- British indie rock group The
Housemartins on their album Now That's What I Call
- R&B singer Javine on her double A-side single "Don't Walk Away"/"You've
Got A Friend". Her version was also taken from the movie soundtrack
for Garfield The Movie.
- Guitar player Ryan Volsen has performed the song with
singer-songwriter Logan Heftel.
Jones on his album ...Sings the Ballads.
- Stacey Kent on
her album The Boy Next Door.
- Country singer Anita
Kerr on her album Daytime Nighttime.
- Labelle covered the song
on their 1971 self-titled album.
sings a Spanish version on her 1986
- Russell Malone on his album Playground.
- Easy-listening artist Mantovani on his album Magical Moods of
- Jazz saxophonist Eric Marienthal on his covers album
Got You Covered.
Mathis on his album You've Got a Friend.
- Miki Matsubara on her album
- Punk music band Me First and the Gimme
Gimmes on their album Turn Japanese.
recorded an Italian version on her album Cinquemilaquarantatre.
- Lucio Dalla
recorded an instrumental version on his album Lucio Dalla (Q
- Anne Murray on
her album Talk It Over in The Morning.
- Trini Lopez as
"Tu Amigo Fiel" (You've Got a Friend) on his Capital Records album Viva.
- Pianist Peter Nero
on his album Peter Nero's Greatest Hits.
Price & Muppet Monsters on an episode of The Muppet
Richard on his album Wanted.
Streisand on her album Barbra Joan Streisand.
- Pop singer Andy Williams on
his album The Andy Williams Show/You've Got a Friend.
- Many AA employees on a 2006 AA advert.
- Various Disney artists on this album Winnie The Pooh –
- Lisa Ono on her 2007
album Soul & Bossa.
- Ventriloquist Terry Fator sang this song on the 2007
Finale of America's Got Talent with his Idol Kermit the
- Maggie Pie & The
Impostors alias Wet
Wet Wet on their 1992 cover album Cloak &
- Bebi Dol on her 2007
album Bebi Dol.
- Aled Jones on his
2007 album Reason to Believe.
Manilow and Melissa Manchester on the 2007 album
The Greatest Songs of
- Korean ballad singer Cho Kyuchan on his 2002 best
- American Idol (season 7)
White on the April 8, 2008 show (Idol Gives Back)
- Billy Cyrus and Emily Osment on his album Home at
Windsor and Steve McFadden, EastEnders co-stars performed this on Barbara
Windsor's 1999 album titled You've Got a Friend.
- Gospel singer
Luchsinger on her album "You've Got A Friend" (2004).
- Lisya Alalu, live exclusively on her brother's Bar
McCurdy did a cover version of it on her official Youtube.
- You've Got a Friend is also the most covered English pop song
ever in Hong Kong pop music history: Agnes Chan (1971, Will The Circle Be
Unbroken), Joe Chen (1972, Joe Chen's 1st), Frances Yip (1970s,
All I Ever Need Is You), Jenny Tseng (1982, Star On Jenny),
Elisa Chan (1994, Impossible), Albert Au (2001, Top Folk), Leslie Cheung
(2002, Best of Leslie Cheung's English Collection), Ada To
(2003, 人間定格), Chet
Lam & Kay Tse (2006,
Camping in Hong Kong Live), Mimi Lo (2007, You're My
Wong (2007, Someone Like You), Peter Cheung &
Andrew Cheung (2007, Duets), Khalil Fong & Fiona Sit (2007, This Love Live