The Full Wiki

More info on rectory

rectory: Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


A rectory in Thuringia, Germany.
File:West Manse
The West Manse, Sanday, Orkney, Scotland (formerly the Free Kirk manse)
File:Rüti - Kloster Rüti - Pfarrhaus IMG
Former Rüti Abbey, protestant rectory in Rüti ZH, Switzerland.

Depending on denomination, local custom, and the status of the minister, the building inhabited (or formerly inhabited) by the leader of a local Christian church can be referred to by one of several names. In Roman Catholic churches it is often called a rectory, sometimes a presbytery. Traditionally, Catholic rectories housed several priests from a parish, as opposed to other denominations where the church leader is often married and raising children. The rectory also often functions as the administrative office of the local parish.

In churches that are members of the Anglican Communion, the building will most commonly be called a rectory or vicarage, depending on the status of the incumbent. Methodists might refer to it as a manse or parsonage, while the latter is quite frequently used in English-speaking Lutheran churches. Manse is the usual name for the house of a Church of Scotland minister. Pastorium is the usual term in the Southern United States, especially among Baptists. These homes are traditionally owned and maintained by the church, as a benefit to their minister. The practice continues to this day in many denominations because of the tendency of church officials to be sent from one church to another at relatively frequent intervals. Many buildings described as "vicarage" or "rectory" that are sold by the church retain their former names, often qualified, such as "The Old Rectory", etc.

See also



Up to date as of January 15, 2010

Definition from Wiktionary, a free dictionary





rectory (plural rectories)

  1. The residence of Roman Catholic priest(s) associated with a parish church.
  2. The residence of an Anglican rector.



Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address